Further to Michaella McCollum’s interview on RTÉ 1 last night following her release on parole for a drug smuggling conviction in Peru.
Journalist and broadcaster Philip O’Connor writes:
The following questions need to be answered, promptly and thoroughly:
1. Who initiated the story/interview – was it Michaella, the journalist on the ground, the RTÉ news desk, a book publisher, PR agency or similar?
2. Did Michaella, her family, her foundation or any other party connected with her receive any sort of compensation (including, but not limited to, cash, flights or accommodation) in return for her co-operation?
3. Did Michaella and/or her representatives promise RTÉ or their representatives exclusivity? If so, what did they receive in return?
4. Were there any demands or requirements made by Michaella or her representatives as to where, when and under what circumstances the interview would take place?
5. Did Michaella and/or her representatives refuse to answer particular questions, or seek a list of questions prior to the interview? If so, did RTÉ accede to those requests? Did the journalist on site decide the questions to be asked or was he instructed by the news desk?
6. Is there more than one take of any of Michaella answers to the questions posed?