02. Surfacing with initial live excursions around the city in 2014, the band released its debut EP, fünderland, in March of 2015, shortly before recruiting their current vocallist.
03. Streaming above is the video for the band’s recent single Dragging. Shot and edited by Rob O’Halloran.
04. Next live appearance is at Cork’s Lodgefest II excursion at the Pine Lodge, in Myrtleville. Hope is Noise are launching their album, Ten Past Seven play their first show in three years, and new band Onkalo also debut.
VERDICT: Uncompromising and weighty, and as singularly focused as you’ll see in Irish heavy music. See them live to get the full extent of it.
Mark O’Keeffe and Fiona Feeney, of the Open House Cork Committee
Happy Friday! Here’s something your readers may be interested in. Open House Cork will take place for the second year next weekend (30 Sept – 2nd Oct).
Over the course of the weekend some of the finest examples of Cork’s architecture will be open to the public, with guided design-based tours, free of charge.
We also have a range of extra activities for all ages, including a sketching tour of MacCurtain Street, an architectural pub trail and a 3D printing workshop at the Architecture Factory. More info and our full programme at link below. We’d love to see ye there.
01. Leeside progressive/sludge-metal five piece Partholón are named for a semi-fictional character of Irish history and mythos, said to have won the first battle on Irish soil and created a peaceful settlement thereafter, before slaying his wife and her lover after tasting him on his lips. The settlement succumbed to plague a week after this violence. “No God, just life, and then, Death”, as the band says in its bio.
02. While the band’s own story is nowhere near as lofty, they emerged from among the wreckage of local bands, notably the late Five Will Die. Live excursions have been few, numbering among them appearances at the Siege of Limerick festival and several shows in Cork, but expect this to change.
03. Streaming above is debut single Hunt, a heavyweight slab of post-metal weighing in at over the ten-minute mark. Grab a tay.
04. It’s taken from their upcoming E.P., Follow Me Through Body, recorded by Shaun Cadogan at Last Light Recordings in Dublin, and mastered by Marcus Lindberg of Cult of Luna. Physical copies and such are impending.
VERDICT: Maintaining the glacial pace and heft of projects past, and marrying it to atmosphere and dynamics, Partholón have put together something exceptionally promising.
02. Each with a background in Irish independent & avant-garde music, the outfit specialises an atmospheric ambience. In their relatively short time together, they’ve come in for critical acclaim, winning the IndieCork Music Award in 2015.
03. Streaming above is Sludge Gore, a live take that forms part of their limited publicly-available output to date.
04. Performing next at Cork County Hall this Friday night for Culture Night, with Rory Francis O’Brien in support. Kickoff 8.30. Roslyn Steer also has a solo performance as part of TEDx CorkSalon’s #Cork Loves Music event, Wednesday night at Coughlan’s.
Verdict: By their nature difficult to discuss beyond vague descriptors and moods, Crevice are a compelling proposition, but must be experienced live to be fully understood.
Further to the recent death of You Jung Han, 36, from South Korea, at the Kinsale Road direct provision centre in Cork…
Red FM reports:
Residents of a direct provision centre in Cork are staging a demonstration today in protest at the system they’re living in.
It follows the death of a young mother in the Kinsale Road Accommodation centre in recent weeks and similar protests in 2014 where asylum seekers living in Cork called on the government to end the system.
…The protest is taking place today on the Grand Parade at 2pm.