Eight lives left … lucky for this cat, it was spotted by the Garda Traffic Corps stuck in the grille of a van on the N17. The driver thought he was being stopped for speeding, and a Garda managed to free the cat uninjured.
01. Over gentle waves of textures and reverberations comes the voice of singer/composer and visual artist Brigid Mae Power.
02. Having existed on the fringes of Irish folk for a number of years, she cut her teeth on her first full-length, I Told You The Truth, recorded in St. Nicholas’ Church in Galway. Leaving Ireland and heading to Oregon to record with American folk musician Peter Broderick in his studio proved to be a turning point.
03. Streaming above is the video for single I Left Myself For a While, from her self-titled “proper” debut record, available via Tompkins’ Square Records. Early solo work also available on her Bandcamp.
04. Headlining Quarter Block Party festival, on the weekend February 3rd-5th in Cork City Centre. More info here.
Thoughts: Some lovely moments amid the melancholy, resonating with subtle drone, and the atmosphere of the studio.
02. The Kralbum is the result of their collaborative labours, dropped by surprise last night via Limerick weirdo music propagation magnates The Unscene.
03. The twelve-minute, one-track mix can be streamed above, and downloaded for free from the project’s Bandcamp.
04. Other than telling us that apparently “Jukes reign supreme over nearly everyone“, there is literally zero other information on this particular project. This was an intentional move, according to the Unscene’s crack PR team.
Verdict: More handy, weirdy, noisy beats from the sweet spot of Irish hip-hop.