The Royal Hibernian Hotel (top), owned by the Besson family, was Dublin’s oldest hotel, dating from the 18th century. it was demolished in 1984 and was replaced by the Royal Hibernian Way (above) in 1987. Congrats to Nobbley, Bellweather and Kerryview.
The old gates of Rathfarnham Castle, Dublin 14 and a view the Castle Lodge (above)
Louis Le Fronde writes:
“The gates and the former lodge beside them (sold in 2011 for €400,000) are reputedly haunted by a little boy who came to a sad end [see below] Thought the photo might make a nice Hallowe’en image for your readers. More on Haunted Dublin to come later his month!”
“It is The corner of Kildare Place and Kildare Street. The Guardian Assurance Co Building was originally constructed as a training school for the Church of Ireland. In the 1970s it was demolished and replaced by the Sam Stephenson designed Agriculture House. Despite being in very good condition at the time of demolition, the Georgian houses next door were also demolished….”
“It was the Christian Science Library on Baggot Street [built in 1928] which was pulled down over a bank holiday weekend in 1974. Concerned citizens who saw the beginning of the demolition were unable to contact anyone from Dublin Corporation, by the time the staff returned after the bank holiday weekend it was too late. Replaced by the Bord na Mona now O2 building (above) designed by Fianna Fail architect in residenceSam Stephenson. “