What you may need to know:
1. Widowed Amelia’s (Essie Davis) son is convinced that there’s a monster lurking in their home. When a pop-up book called ‘The Babadook’ shows up on the doorstep, she start’s sensing a sinister presence all around her. DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!
2. The Babadook is the debut feature of writer/director Jennifer Kent.
3. The positive press and word-of-mouth for this has been insane since it premiered at Sundance back in January.
4. Rather than take the easy CGI route, Kent’s decision to stick with analogue effects has earned her comparisons with Wes Anderson and Terry Gilliam.
5. If the monster is half as creepy as the kid, then we’ll be sleeping with the lights on.
6. Broadsheet Prognosis: A creative shot in the arm for a genre languishing in “found footage” mire.
Release Date: October 24.
(DelBoy is away. Mark blogs about film, TV and other stuff at WhyBother.ie)