At the European Federation of National Organisations Working With The Homeless in Dublin Castle this morning.
Peter McVerry Trust tweetz:
Clear spike in presentation of families to homeless services in Dublin.
But what about that dip?
Readers may recall how, following the death of Jonathan Corrie close to the Dáil on December 1, 2014, emergency accommodation was set up in the Civil Defence headquarters at the Esplanade, Wolfe Tone Quay, Dublin 7.
At the time, Cathal Morgan, of the Dublin Region Homeless Executive, told RTÉ:
“Tomorrow [Friday, December 12], our colleagues in the Civil Defence will be opening up 20 beds. That means 70 beds out of the 260 promised will be in place. By the 23rd of December, we will have those 260 beds in place.”
Readers may also recall how, in late January, Rosie Naughton, from Hope4Homeless, spoke to a homeless man called Richie in Dublin. Richie told Rosie that it was his understanding that the emergency beds, rolled out in the wake of Jonathan Corrie’s death, would be removed over the following two to three weeks.
Richie told Rosie he was told this by the Simon Community, Focus Ireland and Merchant’s Quay.
Previously: The Best We Can Do