Catalan Independence demonstration in Barcelona, Spain last night
Further to the Catalonian referendum brouhaha.
Spain-born Broadsheet reader ‘Nando’ writes:
1. Franco passed away 42 years ago, so, anyone under 42 has been raised in a democracy. Spanish democracy is not perfect but there are freedom of speech and so on.
2. There are not far-right parties in the Spanish congress, no Golden Dawn, no AfD, no UkIP, no National Front. We don’t have characters suchs as Farange or Le Pen. Far-right support is verry little.
3. Party in power is center right. They have opened close to a hundred causes for corruption and illegal funding. This might say little about their honesty, but also that they are not in politics for the ideology, they are in it for de money.
4. Along this 42 years, catalan nacionalism has become an issue only in last few years.
5. Since catalans have voted 47 times in the last 42 years they can’t hardly argue they are vote deprived. So happens with freedom of speech. We all know about their claims by now, don’t we?
6. Pro independency parties have never achieved more than a half of the votes. In the last regional elections Junts pel Si (Together for the Yes, no headaches in the branding) went to 39.6% in 2015. Similar figures were achieved in the last illegal referendum, even considering that guarantees were low, people could vote several times and underages were allowed to vote too.
7. What nation proposes “Junts pel Si” is just unkown. Asked about a Catalan army, center right members said of course, far-left says of course not, Catalonia will be a pacifist paradise. Half of them see Catalonia in the future as the mediterranean Switzerland, the other half as a socialist society.
8. Violence displayed on October 1 is just wrong. Though I can only condemn it, is important to notice that a fair amount of the images posted actually didn’t belong to this day’s clashes. One woman that claimed she had her fingers broken one by one and sexually assaulted by police has admitted only suffers an inflamation in one of her fingers and was never harassed. Hospital staff have revealed they were instructed to file all the cases as casualties of the clashes, even people with nervous breakdowns suffered at their homes.
9. Some teachers have confirmed that general strike on October 3 was planned beforehand, no matter what might happen on the 1st, they were instructed to send the alumns to the streets and claim for independency. Some of them opposed and say are being ignored by peers now. Some teenagers were bullied by their teachers on October 2, told they would be asahmed of what their fathers, policemen, did. Educational competencies fall under the Catalonian authorities. History taught is only Catalan History. You won’t be surprised that children know nothing about Don Quixote, as he belongs to the Spanish culture.
10. Carme Forcadell, president of the Catalan parlament has said, those who don’t vote yes are not catalan. They are 60% of the Catalans though. On last sunday march a number close to 1 million people marched for unity in Barcelona. Catalan authorities have stated: there were no catalans marching. Once you don’t recognise as catalans those who oppose to your ideas is easy to get a majority.
11. This is not about innocent people claiming for their rights. Catalan people are above the average in wealth and rights. Claiming oppression would be an offense to all those who really suffer from it. This is not an story of good and bad people.
Previously: I Am A Catalan