— Game of Thrones (@GameOfThrones) March 5, 2019
What you may need to know:
1. There’s just too much to get into at this stage. It’s season 8, with a dizzying amount of loose ends, subplots and mysteries to be sorted out. At this stage you’re either in or out.
2. The shortened season will consist of six episodes rather than the usual ten, with each hyped as a “mini-movie”
3. It has gotten its share of criticism over the years, due to excessive and often gratuitous violence and scenes of rape.
4. Some say Game of Thrones took a dip once the writers overook George R.R. Martin’s source material, but there’s no question it will go down as one of the all-time great TV series and pop-culture touchstones.
5. This is hardly goodbye. HBO has already confirmed it will go back to the well for a new “prequel” series, set in one of the multitude of historical eras outlined in the mythology.
6. Glorious fart acting from Lena Headey at 1.06.
Doug’s verdict: Winter really is coming this time
Release: April 14/15, Sky Atlantic