vic

As UCC announces a pilot programme of alcohol-free accommodation at Victoria Lodge (above), few will remember the tragic incident of a 19 year old student who died as a result of a binge drinking session.

In 2009, a second-year Arts student consumed more than ten cans of beer and about half a litre of vodka while celebrating his hurling team’s win.

A UCC 2010 study on alcohol consumption showed that 46pc of male and 45pc of female students reported binge drinking more than once a week, and that all who reported drinking alcohol reported at least one adverse consequence.

Student died after heavy drinking session (RTE News, November 2010)

UCC offers ‘dry’ apartment for students who want ‘quieter surroundings’ (Irish Examiner)

Pic: Google Street View

Thanks June

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!