On A Collision Course

at

elliot2treanor

[From top: Former Chief Executive of the National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland (NBSCCCI) Ian Elliott in September 2012 and Bishop of Down and Connor, Noel Treanor at a press conference after a meeting of the Irish Catholic Bishops Conference in Maynooth, Co. Kildare in 2008]

You may recall reports from earlier this month claiming that Mr Elliot – who carried out fieldwork in the diocese of Down and Connor in May 2013 – may sue Bishop Treanor over the December 2013 publication of the NBSCCCI review of safeguarding practice in the Diocese of Down and Connor, claiming the report failed to include a serious clerical child abuse case.

Mr Elliot told the Irish Independent that the diocese blocked the release of information it had about  former priest Jim Donaghy, who was jailed for 10 years in 2012 for abusing two altar boys and a trainee priest.

The National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland rejected the claim in a statement on its website this week while also claiming that Mr Elliot “has not yet responded to our correspondence with him”.

This morning, Patsy McGarry reports:

Last night Mr Elliott told The Irish Times that he “stands resolutely by the comments [he] made” and that it was untrue of the board to say he had not responded to its correspondence. “We have been in communication through our respective lawyers.”

Catholic Church child protection board rejects criticisms of audit by Ian Elliott (Irish Times)

Church watchdog denies omissions in abuse report (Irish Independent)

Related: Ian Elliott may sue Catholic bishop over child protection report (BBC, March 8, 2014)

Previously: “By Covert Means”

Sasko Lazarov/Photocall Ireland

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!