MORE to folly
“Up the Dubes”…I’d say @RossOCK is fuming that there is a @DubGAAOfficial jersey in the window of @Elverys in St. Stephens Green… #bogball #Rugby #gaa #coybib #upthedubs #upthedubes @AkaPaulHoward @broadsheet_ie pic.twitter.com/96vQViaIG5
— robloughlin (@robloughlin) October 22, 2018
Suffolk Street, Dublin 2.
Public access to tonight’s council meeting will be restricted #corkcc
— Cork City Council (@corkcitycouncil) October 22, 2018
Gardaí have removed four housing activists who were occupying the council chamber at Cork City Hall.
The group who began their occupation at 11am this morning are calling on Cork City Council to declare a National Emergency on housing and homelessness and also to write to the Government requesting that a National Emergency Committee be established to deal with it.
A public protest will take place outside City Hall this evening at 5pm.
Presidential hopeful Peter Casey
At a special meeting last month, Fine Gael councillor Michael Sheahan seconded Mr Casey’s nomination after being proposed by Fianna Fail’s member in Newcastle West Michael Collins.
Asked if he would have seconded him had he known Mr Casey’s views on Irish Travellers, Cllr Sheahan said: “No, simple as that”.
…Solidarity councillor Cian Prendiville, who did not nominate a candidate and abstained in the vote, said:
“I think all those councillors, particularly those in Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil need to come out and nail their colours to the mast and say this is not acceptable. What he is trying to do is whip up hatred, fear and prejudice.”
Earlier: A Limerick A Day
From top: Taoiseach leo Varadkar and Minister for Children Katherine Zappone; The site of the former Bon Secours Mother and Baby Home in Tuam, Co Galway
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and the Minister for Children Katherine Zappone will meet with a representative of the Tuam Home Survivors’ Network in Government Buildings.
Ahead of this meeting, the network writes:
Birth and death certificates for the former Tuam Home number 1,101 births, within the home, and 796 deaths, within the home. Of those recorded as dying within the home, slightly in excess of 79% failed to reach the age of one year.
The graveyard records of Galway County Council disclose burial places for just two of those children. Despite the previous knowledge of both Galway County Council and the Bon Secours Order, the presence of large numbers of infant remains was finally confirmed by an exploratory dig at the Tuam site in October 2016.
It further confirmed that the resting place of those remains had, for some decades, served as repository for sewerage.
That partial excavation confirmed what was already reasonably believed – that a large number at least of the children who had died as inmates of the home, for whom no burial records exist, lie with the remains of that sewerage system.
In a functioning civil society, the local coroner would have convened an inquest without delay into such a mass grave of children who had been jointly in the care of the State and the Bon Secours Order.
Two years after the discovery of those remains, the local Coroner has failed in his statutory duty and two Attorneys General have failed to nominate a replacement coroner, which in all the circumstances, they are clearly obliged to do under section 24 of the Coroners Act.
Instead the children of Tuam and their families have been subjected to another two years of obfuscation and deceit.
The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs continues to hold the position that Government has the power to decide the future of the Tuam site.
If either she or Government has, at any time, received advice from the office of the Attorney General that Government has such powers, they should publish that advice now.
The Tuam Home Survivors Network does not believe that any such advice exists, but if it does, it is clearly very bad advice.
The only acceptable outcome in the matter of the Tuam mass grave is the immediate convening of an inquest into the deaths of all the children recorded as dying within it, for whom no burial record exists.
This requires a complete forensic exhumation, together with use of all resources required, to complete the most extensive DNA database possible and post-mortems to determine, wherever possible, the cause of each death.
The removal of the children of Tuam from one mass grave to a different mass grave is unacceptable and any attempt to impose anything so disrespectful will be resisted by all lawful means.
Thanks Kevin Higgins
RíRá: Summer 2018
A fly on the wall documentary about one of the pioneers of rap and hip hop in Ireland.
Available to view FREE from 6pm this Friday on RíRá’s YouTube channel
Johnny Keenan writes:
RíRá (Irish for chaos) is the brainchild of ‘this f*ckin culchie mulla from Tulla’. A line from his underground anthem ‘25 O’Clock In The Mornin‘.
Since he put pen to paper in the mid 80’s Rí the undisputed king of Irish hip hop has rapped about everything that the mainstream has tried to keep from the eyes and ears of the world.
RíRá hasn’t just arrived on the scene. He was one of the main driving forces of Scary Eire. An act who mashed it up for years and opened up the doors of possibility for Rubberbandits and many many more radical and rebel rhymers.
This 40 minute music documentary “RíRá: SUMMER 2018” is a fantastic fly on the wall of a working band of brothers from Offaly (the heart of Ireland) as they ply their trade at 3 music festivals.
A warts and all film that viewers don’t usually see. There is no up close and personal shots. I’ts all taken from a wide lens perspective.
Many different highlights to choose from but one for this writer is the beauty and intensity of the work that goes in off stage to get it just right for the fans and revelers in front of stage.
The musicianship on display will carry you on a trip of the more traveled road of a tried and tested tribe of troubadours.
Artists that’s being around for years and will be around for more years to come. Regardless of who chooses to listen to them and follow them to gigs. Pure folk!
“All my life I have campaigned for a real republic. I have seen the power of people’s will transform this country. We’ve done things we thought were never possible. And there’s so much more we can achieve.” Michael D Higgins. #Aras18 #MichaelDforPresident pic.twitter.com/knNgQG9Vqc
— Michael D Higgins (@MichaelDHiggins) October 21, 2018
Miggeldy’s latest promo video.
fixed the road saved the world.
I have written to Michael D Higgins about his use of public money.
— Liadh Ní Riada MEP (@LiadhNiRiadaMEP) October 22, 2018
Fergus Keane, of FRO Films, writes:
“The dull presidential campaign has been electrified with the launch of a new candidate last weekend, keen to unseat the incumbent and start a new truly national conversation. Vote O’Reilly this Friday.”
Previously: The Break-Up
David McCourt, left, and Minister of State for Trade, Employment, Business, EU Digital Single Market and Data Protection Pat Breen
In the Sunday Business Post.
Hugh O’Connell reported:
Fine Gael junior minister Pat Breen held a number of previously unreported meetings with David McCourt who is heading up the last remaining bid for the National Broadband Plan (NBP), The Sunday Business Post can disclose.
Breen met McCourt on three occasions in 2016 including at a breakfast meeting in the Merrion Hotel.
The Minister of State with responsibility for Trade, Employment, Business, EU Digital Single Market and Data Protection has also visited McCourt at his home in Co Clare on several occasions “in a private capacity” over the last two years.
Social Democrats TD Catherine Murphy
Social Democrats TD Catherine Murphy lodged an official complaint with the Ceann Comhairle’s office, claiming Mr Breen refused to answer, within the specified timeframe, a parliamentary question she had asked regarding his engagements with David McCourt and bidders in the National Broadband Plan process.
Ms Murphy claims her question should have been replied to by Thursday evening last (October 18) but it wasn’t, while he separately provided answers to a journalist.
Ms Murphy said:
“The parliamentary questions process is a vitally important one and that it might be circumvented in any way is a cause of grave concern.
“It is exceptionally unusual for a PQ not to be replied to within the specified timeframe and for me to then see that the same Minister has spoken with a journalist on the topic whilst neglecting his duties under the parliamentary questions process is hugely frustrating.
“I have lodged a formal complaint with the Ceann Comhairle regarding Minister Breen and his Department’s actions in this regard and I await a reply. It is vital that the PQ process is respected by all Ministers and Departments no matter how unsavoury the answer they have to give might be for them personally.”
Previously: Courting David