What you may need to know:
1. When CIA chief (Alec Baldwin) disbands the (other) IMF (what, again?), Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) assembles a team (Jeremy Renner, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames and Rebecca Ferguson) to battle the shadowy force known as ‘The Syndicate’ and its elusive leader (Sean Harris).
2. Paramount have moved the release date forward by five months to put some air between it and Star Wars VII.
3. This is Christopher McQuarrie’s fourth collaboration with Cruise. He has directed Jack Reacher (2012) and co-wrote Valkyrie (2008) and last year’s worst-marketed best movie, Edge of Tomorrow (2014). If you were put off by that poster, do yourself a favour and check it out. Seriously.
4. After dangling from the 2,700ft Burj Khalifa building in Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011), that really is Cruise hanging off a plane 5,000 feet up in the air. His insurance premium must have accounted for a significant portion of the budget.
5. With John Woo’s M:I-2 (2000) arguably the only duff entry, the Mission: Impossible franchise is in rude health. Incidentally, reshoots for M:I 2 cost Dougray Scott the part of Wolverine in Bryan Singer’s X-Men (2000).
6. Broadsheet Prognosis: Needs more Lalo Schfrin.
Release Date: July 31.
(Mark blogs about film, TV and other stuff at WhyBother.ie)