27 thoughts on “B*stards

  1. Eoin Bairéad

    The Status of Children Act 1987 abolished the status of illegitimacy and amended the law on maintenance and succession for non-marital children. It allowed unmarried fathers to apply for guardianship of their children and provided for blood tests to establish paternity.

  2. Rob

    They should probably provide a real-world example – maybe it’s as simple as facilitating changing a child’s surname at the same time as the mother’s. Not everyone will want to but it shouldn’t be super-complicated.

  3. Dublin, Ohio

    @eoin. If that is the case and I’ve no reason to doubt you. Why would the HSE mention illegitimacy a bit bizarre.

  4. Catherine

    @ Rob – “maybe it’s as simple as facilitating changing a child’s surname at the same time as the mother’s.”

    Assuming, of course, that the mother is changing her name upon marriage…

  5. TheQ47

    One possible explanation of this might be where the parents want to change the surname of the child following marriage, i.e., if the child was registered with the mother’s surname, and they now wish to change it to the father’s surname.

    Another possible explanation could be because the parents were not married to each other, there is no presumption in laws as to who is the father of the child. If the father’s name is not on the birth certificate, the couple may, following marriage, wish to have him registered as the father.

    The wording does sound a bit strange, though.

    1. scottser

      and have ginger wans flyin arrows at ya all the time? and you have to say it in a geordie accent too – ya bastad, jon sner

  6. Paolo

    It’s because the father has feck all rights to the child until the birth is re-registered. Simple as that.

      1. Selfie Sensation

        Unless your a father in which case it has everything to do with registration of your paternal rights.

  7. lolly

    here is an anomaly for you. 14 years ago we went to register our son (we were unmarried) and they asked if either of us had been married in the past. My partner said she was divorced. “where was the marriage and divorce?” they asked – it turns out they recognised her English marriage but not her USA divorce so her ex-husband (who she hadn’t spoken to in 10 years) had to go on the birth-cert as my son’s father under Irish law as he was still her legal husband. we had to spend €3,000 to get an Irish divorce so we could register our son with me as the father… true story.

      1. lolly

        It was a UK marriage and a New Jersey Divorce. I think it was to do with the fact the marriage and divorce happened in different countries. Her ex was highly bemused to find out he had a son, so to speak, but was happy to sign new divorce papers etc.

  8. Mike Baldwin

    Why couldn’t ye get the Irish divorce first and then register your son? Did you have to ask her ex to agree to go on the birth certificate? You should’ve chased him for maintenance til the divorce came through. LoL.

  9. lolly

    We did get her an Irish divorce before we registered him. you have a few months before you register a kid. it spurred us on to get married a few years later here given how few rights i seemed to have.

Comments are closed.

Sponsored Link