What you may need to know:
1. Venerable veteran Mike Leigh directs Timothy Spall in this biopic of Victorian artist JMW Turner, one of the forerunners of modern abstract art.
2. We liked his early landscapes better. #Hipster.
3. Mr Turner received glowing feedback from critics after its premiere at Cannes, where Spall took home the Best Actor award.
4. Spall is something of a Leigh regular, having also appeared in Life is Sweet (1990), Secrets and Lies (1996), Topsy-Turvy (1999) and All or Nothing (2002).
5. You can’t really go wrong with Leigh. Naked (1993) is a personal favourite, but Meantime (1984), Leigh’s portrait of life under Thatcher in the 1980s is well worth seeking out.
6. Broadsheet Prognosis: Painting is cool.
Release Date: October 31
(DelBoy is away. Mark blogs about film, TV and other stuff at WhyBother.ie)