What you may need to know:
1. Sci-fi set in 2044. Solar storms have turned the world’s surface into a radioactive desert and decimated the population to 21 million. Robots carry out the manual labour necessary for humankind’s survival.
2. Insurance guy Jacq Vaucan (Antonio Banderas) investigates a robot that’s broken one of the security protocols (ie. Asimov’s laws) designed to protect their human overlords.
3. A cross between Blade Runner (1982) and I, Robot (2004) that’s not based on a story by Philip K. Dick? Strange.
4. Kudos to sophomore director Gabe Ibáñez for taking a modest $15m budget and making it look like a lot more.
5. 2044 and no flying cars or hoverboards? Come on science, step up.
6. Broadsheet Prognosis: Linguo… dead?
Release Date: October 10 (US).
(DelBoy is away. Mark blogs about film, TV and other stuff at WhyBother.ie)