What you may need to know:
1. Fratboy Jake (Blake Jenner) navigates his first weekend of big school.
2. Richard Linklater follows the monumentally overrated Boyhood (2014) with this “spiritual sequel” to Dazed and Confused (1993).
3. More like a spiritual sequel to Porky’s (1982).
4. It’s safe to say that this one won’t be bothering the Oscars.
5. Linklater almost makes Kevin Smith look sophisticated. Almost.
6. Broadsheet prognosis: None for me thanks.
Release Date: May 13.
Who is this clown trying to review films that’s he’s not even seen? This film has been getting great reviews.
If it’s that good then why did they make such a terrible trailer for it?
My thoughts exactly.
His reviews are consistently unreliable and lacking in any kind of content.
I can’t wait for this.
Boyhood was a good film, didn’t think it was monumentally overrated at all. That’s the kind of criticism you get from ‘Their first album was much better’ spouting fools.
It looks like the Wayans Brothers remake of Dazed and Confused.
Boyhood overrated !! Harsh. Better the gimmicky birdman
Ah, let’s be fair. They were both gimmicky.
Who is the smug git that writes these pieces. This has been getting glowing reviews all over the place.
I’ve heard this is a good watch, to be fair. Looking forward to seeing it. Heard Boyhood is supposed to be good too. I’d be willing to give both a try.
Broadsheet Reviewer Review: Mark Ryall
What you may need to know:
1. Has he seen the movie? No, just basing opinion on a trailer
2. Yes really!
3. Also, he didn’t like previous work by (Insert hyperlink to relevant writer/director here) so this is definitely not worth watching.
4. Just straight up hates Ricky Gervais – he’s like the discharge from a under-cooked,folded-over omelette to this reviewer.
5. Ryall almost makes AO Scott look sophisticated. Almost.
6. Broadsheet reader prognosis: He reviewed Game of Thrones trailer after admitting to not watching the show. What value does that offer anyone?
You are laughing.
Pwned or something.
Who is Mark Ryall? In fairness he sounds a bit limited. How’d he get this gig? Friends with the editor?
Vintage HiFi porn alert for those so inclined – jump to 2:08…
First Ricky Gervais and now Richard Linklater? Mark, you’ve completely enraged the middlebrow androcentric enthusiasts. Who’s next? Louis CK? Iñárritu? Spare a thought for your poor audience, Mark! Don’t you know these guys get good reviews?
Next week they’ll be taking Conor Mc Gregor apart – wait til you see!
Anything to be ‘controversial’ and get a more clicks and likes.
Taking Conor Mc Gregor apart wouldn’t be controversial, it’s been going on in a tit-for-tat since the sport came to the mainstream, in fairness.
Whats your beef with Louis?!
Tedious stater of the obvious with spineless ‘plague on both your houses’ schtick. Next.
That was an incredible comment.
Never thought you could get so far up your own bottom.
“stater of the obvious” = “observational comedy” , it’s tricky but you’ll get there kid.
Hope you didn’t burn yourself on his latest piping hot take… “Trump is a bigot and like Hitler!!” Even included the obligatory “funny at first” bit.
In fairness his heart is in the right place and he’s grand for unchallenging people like yourself.
Anyone see his new web series, ‘Horace and Pete’?
pleased to see that I’m not the only one that thinks these film ‘reviews’ are useless, especially as they are reviews of trailers rather than movies.
surely Broadsheet should put these out after the film has been released and been actually seen by the writer?
Hey does anyone think this might be a bit like Dazed and Confused… but the 80s!!
I guess this is what happens when people with locked in syndrome write movie reviews.