The Best of The Best Things You’ve Heard This Year

at

Last week, with a Golden Discs voucher worth Twenty Five  Euros to giveaway, we asked you to name the best thing you’ve heard all year.

You answered in your tens.

But there could be only one winner

In reverse order then…

Dub Spot writes:

The best thing I head all year is Shallow by Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper (from a Star is Born movie) owing to it being a power-ballad for our age, brilliantly performed from the heart from an unlikely pairing that really made sense. His croak; her colour. Perfect production.

An Madra Uisce writes:

The very best thing I’ve heard all year is Total Football, the first track from Parquet Courts album Wide Awake, owing to its message of collectivism and critique of modern america. It’s a banger of a tune with great pacing, some good shouty bits and one of the all time great closing lyrics. Nice Panini style vidjo too.

Fez writes:

The very best thing I’ve heard all year is KCTMO by Pozi owing to the lyrics blaming the Grenfell tower fire on the management company (KCTMO) while mourning the victims, backed by a Sleaford mods style bassline and eerie violins. A bold start to a new London band’s career.

f_lawless writes:

‘The very best thing I’ve heard all year is Rad Planet’s ‘Outdoors’ owing to its combination of velvety, melancholic vocals over infectious indie beat. Definite future indie-pop classic contender in my book

Bertie Blenkinsop writes:

Arctic Monkeys American Sports I played this song to death all year, I think the album is some of their finest work surprised that it got a mixed reaction “I lost the money, lost the keys But I’m still handcuffed to the briefcase” is a brilliant line imo :)

Winner

Paddy writes:

The very best thing I’ve heard all year is IDLES’ album, Joy As An Act Of Resistance owing to the fact that it confronts racism, hypermasculinity and homophobia. The loud punk pandemonium of the band combined with the very masculine lead singer Joe Talbot proudly roaring ‘I kissed a boy and I liked it!’ on the song Samaritans is one fabulous juxtaposition.

The song Danny Nedelko (above) opens with the line ‘my blood brother is an immigrant, a beautiful immigrant/my blood brother is Freddie Mercury, a Nigerian mother of three’. Then there’s the brilliant Never Fight A Man With A Perm. There’s humour, confrontation, anger and love all rolled in to one great album by a fantastically energetic band.

Thanks all

Last weeK: The Best Thing You’ve Heard All Year

17 thoughts on “The Best of The Best Things You’ve Heard This Year

1. Dhod

I agree with madra uisce. Parquet Courts total football is great. Freebird II is also a cracker. Like a modern version of 70’s glam rock tune, quite different to total football

2. Janet, I ate my avatar

yeah well done winner,
    as an aside, the earrings from Fyona arrived this morning ( hoops and fears) ,
    gorgeous on so they are,
    thanks for the voucher :)

3. Ollie Cromwell

I hear Michael Bublé’s new album is good – caught a song on the Ronan Collins show the other day and by jove he can hold a tune with a big band.
    No Sinatra,mind you,but not bad for a Poundshop Harry Connick Jnr.

1. Ollie Cromwell

Brexit can’t be mentioned ? News to me old cock.
        Anyway,not much to say now until Dec 11th.
        Then the fun begins …

1. Dhod

When I was a kid we used to go on holidays to a resort in Portugal. Ronan and fam also used to frequent. Every night and by every night I mean every night he would think he was frank Sinatra after a few scoops. It started off as, ah there’s your man that does the lotto numbers singing mack the knife but the novelty quickly faded

1. Spaghetti Hoop

His slot is an hour per day right? RTE radio guy once told me that RoCo breezes in with the pastel jumper over his shoulders, 5 mins before it goes on air – sits and does this hospital radio, golden oldie effort – then scoots off to the golf course. Gets 200 big ones a year for doing just that!

1. Ollie Cromwell

Well done Ronan Collins for getting that gig.
          Him and John Creedon still have the best music shows on the radio.
          Although if you think the Idles’ Danny Nedelko is anything other than utter tripe you’ll probably disagree.

4. Clampers Outside!

I enjoyed youtubin’ some of the entries on the night, thanks to all who entered.

Total Football shoulda won, imo :)

5. :-Joe

YES FUPPING YES, I VOTE YES….

Yeah yeah whatever etc etc. .. there are moments of true justice every now and again…..

I remembered this Item and came back to say this….

FUCK YOU AND FUPP ME AND ALL —OUR— SH!!!!!!!TE

PUNK IS COMING BACK WITH A VENGEANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY DAZE will follow after this brief message of reality…..

:-J