01. Galway math-rock quartet Race the Flux premiered new single Matty Rusko on their social media yesterday. It’s available for streaming on Spotify and download from iTunes.
02. Having spent the last few years honing their sound, including debut LP Dutch Buffalo and last year’s more experimental Olympians EP, the lads have supported Tame Impala, And So I Watch You From Afar, and The Redneck Manifesto.
03. Rugger buggers may recognise their track Olympus Mons as Munster’s pitch walkout music, also.
04. The video, shot and edited by Limerick media veteran Shane Serrano, sees the band accompany a man who can’t get their them out of his head. Literally.
05. Having played Sweeney’s in Dublin last night, tonight they’re off to slaughter London’s Old Blue Last, a 317-year-old pub, formerly a brothel, now run by VICE Magazine. Grand.
Verdict: The evolution of the Tribesmen from electronicky alt-rockers to the forefront of Ireland’s enviable math-rock scene has taken definite shape. Matty Rusko continues the process in fine form.
01. Loner Deluxe is the nom-de-beats and solo folktronica project of Rusted Rail Records man, Keith Wallace.
02. “…like a blend of Godspeed, Four Tet, glitchy little electronic sound effects, haunting fairground music, Boards of Canada and a kinda strange psyche folk version of My Bloody Valentine“, said the dearly departed Road Records at one point.
03.Winters Last Fire, is the lead song on the project’s newest ‘digital cassingle’ Snowed Under, released this past January. Animated sci-fi visuals courtesy of Galway’s Tiny Epics.
04. The song was selected as part of An Taobh Tuathail Vol. 7 by RnaG tastemaker Cian O’Cíobháin, alongside tunes by Sufjan Stevens and Nils Frahm, among others. Good company.
05.Snowed Under is the winter-themed sequel to previous digital cassingle (which is a nice concept for small groupings of songs that don’t quite feel like a “proper” E.P., in fairness) TheCoast is Clear.
Verdict: We might be a bit past winter but this is still music to come home and put on a cup of tay to…