What you may need to know:
2. This has been in development since 2006. Original writer/director Edgar Wright (The Cornetto Trilogy, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) dropped out in May 2014 following endless studio notes and re-writes. Marvel replaced him with the safer choice of Peyton Reed (Bring it On, The Break-up).
3. The screenplay is now credited to Rudd and Adam McKay, with Wright and co-writer Joe Cornish receiving a smaller “story by” credit.
4. Between this and the rumoured 1986 flop Howard the Duck (1986) remake, we must surely be reaching the bottom of the comic-book-movie barrel (although Howard and Beverly is still a better love story than Anakin and Padme).
5. Not that Marvel will be running out of choice any time soon. Characters with untapped development potential include Squirrel Girl (powers include enhanced strength, speed and the ability to communicate with squirrels), Lady Stilt-Man (owns a pair of stilts) and Leather Boy (don’t Google this… seriously).
6. Broadsheet Prognosis: Pass the Raid.
Release Date: July 17
Mark blogs about film, TV and other stuff at WhyBother.ie
UPDATE: That poster, improved.