From top: National Children’s Hospital site this morning; National Paediatric Hospital Development Board Project Director John Pollock; Stephen Donnelly, Fianna Fáil health spokesman, and the Department of Health’s Assistant Secretary Tracey Conroy at a meeting of the Oireachtas health committee today
At a meeting of the Oireachtas health committee – which is discussing the overspend at the new National Children’s Hospital with representatives from the Department of Health and the HSE…
The committee heard that, last August, the National Paediatric Hospital Development Board warned the Department of Health and Minister for Health Simon Harris that the cost of the National Children’s Hospital could top a billion euro.
Last month The Irish Times reported the total cost for developing the facility at St James’s Hospital was expected to be more than €1.73 billion.
Fianna Fáil TD Stephen Donnelly pointed out that Irish taxpayers will pay over twice as much per bed at the NCH as the two most expensive hospitals ever built in the world.
Mr Donnelly repeatedly asked Ms Conroy if she believed this represents a “catastrophic failure of management”.
Eventually, Ms Conroy said “I don’t”.
Watch the exchange here from 35.35.
On @RTENewsAtOne, Claire Byrne says the €200m raised by the Govt through the sale of the National Lottery in 2011, and earmarked for the construction of the new children's hospital, will now only "pay for a couple of windows at this stage".
— Colette Browne (@colettebrowne) January 23, 2019
Watch the meeting live here
WATCH: Department of Health describes cost escalation of the new children’s hospital project as ‘very significant and disturbing’. Dept’s Assistant General Secretary Colm Desmond is before the Oireachtas Health Committee pic.twitter.com/ooYT3PP866
— RTÉ Politics (@rtepolitics) January 23, 2019