Author Archives: Bodger

This afternoon.

Aoife McGiveney (above left with Brigid Sinnott, Resuscitation Manager, Irish Heart Foundation) – the Mater Hospital nurse who performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on a Dublin Bus driver when he fell unconscious earlier this month, helps launch the Irish Heart Foundation’s new free community CPR training programme, Hands for Life supported by Abbott and ESB Networks.

Organisers hope to teach CPR to 100,000 people in local communities throughout Ireland over the next two years.

No female dummies?

FIGHT!

Top from left: Aoife, Paul Hennessy, Customer Experience Director, Abbott, Paul Mulvaney, Executive Director, Customer Delivery, ESB Networks and Tim Collins, CEO, Irish Heart Foundation.

Sasko Lazarov/Photocall Ireland

Yesterday.

In Bundoran, Co Donegal.

Carver Photography tweetz:

Bundoran – playful dogs nudging each other out of the way for the best view of the big waves – Benwisken and Benbulben on the skyline.

Carver Photography (Facebook)

Parnell Street, Dublin 1

An ad on Daft.ie sez:

We’re renting our living room spot where there is a double bed sofa for yourself, large and renovated kitchen and 1 bathroom for the 3 people living in the apartment (including you).

The rent is 500 plus a month of deposit, plus basic bills: electricity every two months, monthly internet and some home essentials as rubbish bags, chemicals for cleaning, etc.

…Please, ONLY email if you agree with the terms above explained.”

Sigh.

Parnell Street, Smithfield, Dublin 1 (Daft.ie)

H/T: Lisa Hughes and Dublin Rental Investigator

This morning.

At Government Buildings in Dublin.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar meets European Council President Donald Tusk for talks ahead of the European Council summit later in the week.

Beats Juncker, spose.

Leah Farrell/Rollingnews

From top: Greenvale Hotel in Cookstown, Co Tyrone, PSNI Detective Chief Supt Raymond Murray speaking to journalists at a press conference in Dungannon today

This morning.

In Dungannon, Co Tyrone.

PSNI Detective Chief Superintendent Raymond Murray, at a press conference, called on people who were at the Greenvale Hotel in Cookstown, Co Tyrone, on Sunday night, to come forward and to speak to the police.

They’re also appealing for any pictures or footage taken on the night to be given to the PSNI.

It follows the deaths of Lauren Bullock, 17, Morgan Barnard, 17, and 16-year-old Connor Currie during a “crush” in the car park of the hotel on Sunday night.

Mr Murray told the journalists present that between 350 and 400 people may have been in the carpark during the “crush” and that the PSNI wants to speak to as many of those people as possible.

He said about 160 of those 400 have so far come forward.

He also said that anyone who was underage at the licensed premises should not be concerned about any legal repercussions in relation to that.

He said:

“That is not an issue in this investigation. It should be an inhibition to any young person coming forward and telling us what they know.”

“The absolute focus in this investigation is about finding out how three teenagers came to die at what should have been a celebratory event, and what happened before that and what happened during that.”

Mr Murray also encouraged parents of young people who were present to speak to their children and encourage them to tell them to go to the police.

He said:

“That is absolutely critical to us getting an accurate picture of what happened that night. And I think we owe it to Connor and to Lauren and to Morgan to do everything we can to establish what exactly happened.”

Asked by a journalist if the PSNI, who have examined CCTV footage of the hotel, are close to understanding what happened at the hotel on Sunday night, Mr Murray said:

“I think we have some initial indications of what has happened. I don’t want to go into too many of them, as you understand. I’m in the middle of a very, very complex investigation.

“However, what we can say, without a shadow of a doubt, it’s been widely reported, is that it was a crush situation and one of the doors, which would have taken you through eventually into the function room, where the event was to be held, this crush appeared to go on for quite a period of time.

“And that is the focus of our investigation.

“However, we will be looking more generally about how the event was run, how it was planned for, all of that was part of what is going to be a long and complex investigation.”

Mr Murray also said many more than three people could have died on Sunday night.

PSNI Cookstown (Facebook)

UPDATE:

Yesterday.

Shannonwatch released a statement, following the arrest of two US veterans, aged 77 and 82, at Shannon Airport on Sunday.

The two men were charged with causing €2,500 worth of criminal damage to the airport perimeter fence at Shannon Airport and unlawful trespass into a taxi-way at the airport.

Shannonwatch wrote:

“Two US veterans were arrested at Shannon Airport on 17 March for entering the airfield to inspect and investigate an OMNI Air International plane on contract to the U.S. military. The two, Tarak Kauff and Ken Mayers, were refused bail at Ennis District Court today.

The plane, tail number N351AX, arrived at Shannon Airport about 8.30am from Eielson US air force base in Faribanks Alaska, believed to be on its way to the Middle East with up to 300 armed US troops.

At about 10am Mayers, a former Marine Corps Major and Kauff, a former Army paratrooper, both members of US Veterans For Peace, entered the airfield carrying a large banner that said:

U.S. Veterans say

Respect Irish Neutrality

U.S. War Machine out of Shannon Airport

Veterans For Peace

The two walked across the air field with the intent of inspecting the plane for weapons or munitions, but were apprehended by airport security and gardai.

There were detained and interviewed at Shannon Garda station and held overnight for arraignment on charges of trespass and criminal damage.

At Ennis District Court [yesterday] morning Mayers and Kauff were represented by solicitor Darragh Hassett.

The prosecution outlined the charges against them and indicated that they were opposed to bail.

Garda Sergeant Noel Carroll gave evidence of arrest on Taxiway 12 at Shannon airport. He also stated that there was a US military aircraft at the airport, most likely referring to OMNI Air N351AX.

He also confirmed that the defendants were both veterans of the US military.

The prosecutor, Inspector Thomas Kennedy, said there had been substantial damage to the airport perimeter fence.

When the bail issue was being discussed solicitor Hassett initially stated that the defendants were prepared to agree to bail conditions that involved surrendering their passports, and remaining in Ireland for the duration of the legal processes.

This was an unacceptable condition as it would mean that the defendants would have to remain in Ireland at their own expense for up to two years before the trial would occur, and this restriction amounts to punishment without trial.

The defendants then requested an adjournment to discuss matters with their solicitor.

After the court resumed, Hassett emphasised that the defendants needed to return home to the USA and would sign a sworn undertaking to return for trial.

The prosecution opposed this and continued to oppose the granting of any bail.

Judge Maire Keane then ruled that she was denying bail to the accused and remanded them in custody to Limerick Prison, where they are to appear for a further court mention hearing by video from the prison on Wednesday, 20 March.

Further discussions were then held with solicitor Hassett.

He raised the option of appealing the bail refusal to the High Court in Dublin and he was told to lodge such an appeal.

He indicated that it would likely be Thursday, 28 March, before this High Court appeal would be heard.”

Two US Veterans For Peace Refused Bail at Ennis District Court (Shannonwatch)

Two former US servicemen remanded over damage to Shannon Airport fence (Gordon Deegan, The Irish Times)

Previously: Cleared for Takeoff

CEO of the Football Association of Ireland John Delaney

On Saturday night, The Sunday Times journalist Mark Tighe tweeted that he had just spent three hours in the High Court.

The CEO of the Football Association of Ireland John Delaney had, from 6pm, tried to secure an emergency injunction to prevent Mr Tighe reporting that Mr Delaney had given the FAI a cheque for €100,000 in 2017.

Mr Tighe subsequently told RTÉ’s Morning Ireland that, at the High Court, Mr Delaney also sought damages from the newspaper for breach of privacy and swore an affidavit – which was opened to the court – claiming that he believed the only place The Sunday Times could have got information about the cheque was from his divorce proceedings.

The High Court appearance followed the newspaper starting correspondence with Mr Delaney about the cheque on March 1.

On Saturday night, Judge Anthony Barr ruled in the newspaper’s favour and ordered Mr Delaney to pay the newspaper’s legal costs.

In his judgement, the judge said there was no proof that The Sunday Times’ source was Mr Delaney’s divorce proceedings.

The judge reportedly said: “…the finances of the FAI and any payment and repayment to its chief executive are matters of significant public interest.”

Mr Tighe tweeted that the judge found in their favour at 9.35pm – 20 minutes before the newspaper’s print deadline.

An article about the cheque subsequently appeared in the newspaper on Sunday, explaining that the €100,000 was drawn from Mr Delaney’s account at Bank of Ireland in Waterford and subsequently lodged at Bank of Ireland in Blanchardstown, near the FAI headquarters in Abbotstown.

The FAI has since issued three statements on the matter, saying that the cheque was a “bridging loan” from Mr Delaney to the FAI.

Yesterday, Niamh Lyons and Sean McCarthaigh, in The Times Ireland edition, reported that – since news of the cheque emerged – a whistleblower has contacted a member of the Oireachtas sport committee about a number of allegations concerning governance at the FAI.

They reported that the whistleblower is preparing to make a formal complaint to the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement, while the politician who has received the information is going to see if the allegations can be put to FAI representatives when they go before the committee on Wednesday, April 10.

The FAI’s first statement was released around 11.40pm on Saturday night – after The Sunday Times went to print – with the FAI stating “the short-term loan [in April 2017] was required to aid cash glow on that occasion and was repaid in full” to Mr Delaney by the FAI in June 2017.

Mr Delaney was quoted in the statement saying: “This is the only occasion on which I provided the association with a short-term loan.”

On Sunday, the FAI released a second, longer, statement – about the FAI’s governance – which also included reference to the cheque.

In it, Mr Delaney was quoted as saying:

“I have already commented on the reasons behind the loan. I acted in the best interests of the association at a time when immediate funding was needed.

“This loan had no impact on the full financial position or performance of the association for the year. It was a matter of timing.

“The monies received from EURO 2016 were utilised in that year’s budgets as outlined in the financial report to the 2017 AGM.

“As CEO I hold regular meeting with our Director of Finance regarding the state of our finances and all items arising are conveyed to our board at our monthly meetings.

“This was the case in 2017 when I acted in good faith for the benefit of the FAI and will continue to do so.”

The statement added that a “full media conference will be held in early April”.

The third statement was released yesterday in which the association reiterated that “the bridging loan was made in the best interests of the FAI in 2017 when it experienced a short-term cash-flow issue”.

In further coverage about the FAI, Neil Cotter and Craig Farrell, in The Irish Sun, yesterday reported that out of Ireland’s three main sports — football, GAA and rugby — the FAI alone needs to beg for early drawdown of State funding.

And this morning, John Hand, also in The Irish Sun, reported that Mr Delaney likely faces a €50,000 legal bill after failing in his bid to secure an injunction.

Meanwhile, in late January, it was announced that the former Sports Editor at The Irish Sun Cathal Dervan had been appointed as the FAI’s new director of public relations and communications.

He’s to take up the position in April after seven years at The Irish Sun.

Delaney’s unexplained €100,000 cheque to FAI (Mark Tighe, The Sunday Times, March 17, 2019)

Allegations about FAI handed to politician (Niamh Lyons, Sean McCarthaigh, Times Ireland edition, March 18, 2019)

Documents reveal FAI were only one of big three sporting bodies to seek early access to Sport Ireland funding in 2018 (Neil Cotter, Craig Farrell, The Irish Sun, March 18, 2019)

FAI boss John Delaney faces €50,000 legal bill after failed High Court bid to block publication of details about €100,000 cheque (John Hand, The Irish Sun, March 19, 2019)

Sam Boal/Rollingnews.ie

The suspected mob boss killer and his ‘doodles of hate’

Where we go one, we go ‘ah here’.

Man Suspected of Killing Gambino Mob Boss Drew QAnon Symbols on Hands in Court (New York Magazine)

Pics: AP

Meanwhile

Hmm.