‘A Chip Pan Had Been Left On A Hot Plate’

at

The halting site in Carrickmines, south Dublin, where a fire killed 10 members of the same Traveller family, one of whom was pregnant, in 2015

Ten members of the same Traveller family, including a pregnant woman, died in a fire at a halting site in Carrickmines, south Dublin, in October 2015.

Those who died were: Thomas Connors, 28, his wife Sylvia (nee Lynch), 30, their three children, Jim, 5, Christy 3, and six-month-old Mary; Willy Lynch, 25, his pregnant partner Tara Gilbert, 27, her daughter Jodie, 9, their daughter Kelsey, four; and Jimmy Lynch, 39 – Sylvia and Willy’s brother.

Further to this…

An inquest into the deaths began this morning.

And RTÉ reports:

“An inquest has heard that the fire that killed ten people at a halting site in Carrickmines, Co Dublin, was caused by a chip pan.

“Detective Inspector Martin Creighton told the Dublin Coroners Court that the source of the blaze in 2015 was found to be an electric cooker in a mobile home at the Glenamuck halting site.

“He said that a chip pan had been left on a hot plate on the cooker.”

“…The council’s director of services Thomas McHugh said the Glenamuck halting site was a temporary emergency site provided in 2008 for families who were living at the side of the road.

“In answer to coroner Myra Cunninane, he said that temporary emergency sites were exempt from housing regulations including fire safety regulations.”

Chip pan was cause of fatal Carrickmines fire, inquest told (RTÉ)

Previously: Travellers And Friends

Sam Boal/Rollingnews.ie

20 thoughts on “‘A Chip Pan Had Been Left On A Hot Plate’

  1. Panty Christ

    Terrible thing to happen.
    Does this mean that temporary housing provision for every person in the state is exempt from fire regs?

  2. Junkface

    Making chips the old fashioned Chip pan way has taken a lot of lives in Irish home fires over the years. Why do people still do it? Lethal.

    1. Spaghetti Hoop

      I thought chip-pans were replaced by contained, electric fryers in the late 80s.
      Either way, ten people dead. So very sad.

          1. Termagant

            Millie continuing to live in ignorance of the performance of air fryers won’t bring those people back to life.

  3. Eoin

    “Mr Peoples said that the Connors’ unit was provided with a fire extinguisher, fire blanket and smoke alarm.”

    Shocking this happened if the smoke alarm was working.

    .

  4. postmanpat

    I know a guy who burned his kitchen black with a chip pan because he got distracted talking to the neighbor over the garden wall when he went out grab the washing off the line. This could have been anything, a kid crying or acting up, or a distracting phone call. Chip pans dude, you cant take your eye off them.

    1. Mickey Twopints

      That smell that hits you in the back of the throat after you’ve stepped in dog doo da. That’s the smell I’m getting right now.

Comments are closed.