In the past 25 minutes.
Former Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey released a statement to say she will not be seeking re-election on February 8th, 2020.
It follows the party’s National Executive Council deselecting her as a candidate for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown constituency in November.
Previously: ‘I Found Myself On The Floor’
Via Maria Bailey
Tommy Broughan after he was elected to the Dáil in 2011
Tommy Broughan, a long-time public representative for the constituency of Dublin Bay North (previously Dublin North East) has today announced that he will not be contesting the upcoming General Election.
Mr Broughan was first elected to Dáil Éireann in 1992 as a Labour Deputy, became an Independent in 2011 and successfully contested the 2016 election.
…Mr Broughan says “I’d like to sincerely thank all my friends and my constituents of Dublin Bay North (and Dublin North East) for their support over the years.
“After lengthy discussions with my family, staff and long deliberations, I decided not to contest the upcoming General Election.
“It was a very difficult decision since I have been a public representative for almost 29 years.
“I wish my former Technical Group colleagues, Catherine Connolly, Joan Collins and Thomas Pringle all the very best on February 8th next.”
Broughan decides not to contest the general election 2020 (Tommy Broughan)
Jennifer Carroll-MacNeill, Maria Bailey’s replacement on the Fine Gael Dun Laoghaire ticket
Localization Girls writes:
Our “New” FG Election Candidate after the Bailey Out…
Timing a bit unfortunate! Also, so nice of her to give up a whole hour a month for her constituents. My God ,you could meet maybe a whole two people in that time, what a committed public servant!
Previously: Font Farewell
Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe has insisted that Maria Bailey was removed from the Fine Gael election ticket in a ‘democratic manner’.
Councillor Jennifer Carroll MacNeill has been added to the ticket in Dun Laoghaire after Fine Gael HQ accepted a local motion asking for changes.
Via The Irish Examiner:
Asked about any potential action Ms Bailey may now take to contest the decision, Mr Donohoe said: “It’s a very much a much a matter for Deputy Bailey regarding the response to what happened last night. Last night was a democratic decision that was made by the Executive Council.”
Speaking in Dublin’s north inner city, Mr Donohoe said the controversy had caused public debate but had also been very difficult for Ms Bailey herself.
Maria Bailey was removed from FG ticket in a ‘democratic’ process, Donohoe insists (irish Examiner)
Last night: Font Farewell
Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey released the statement above after her party’s National Executive Council announced earlier that it was deselecting her as a candidate for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown in the next general election.
Maria Bailey deselected as Fine Gael election candidate (RTÉ)
Earlier: Set In Motion
Previously: ‘I Found Myself On The Floor’
Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey leaving the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire last month
Fine Gael’s national executive is due to meet at the party’s headquarters on Mount Street Upper in Dublin 2.
On the agenda is a motion from the party’s Dún Laoghaire branch calling for a review of the constituency’s general election candidates.
The motion is widely viewed as a move against Maria Bailey, following her decision to sue a Dublin hotel after falling off a swing at the premises.
It reportedly passed 88 in favour and 66 against on October 31 when a vote was taken at the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire.
Previously: 88 In Favour, 66 Against
“I Found Myself On The Floor”
Fianna Fáil leader Mícheál Martin released a statement saying Seantor Lorraine Clifford-Lee (above) is “genuinely sorry” for the comments she made on Twitter.
Ms Clifford-Lee is running for a TD seat in the Fingal by-election on November 29.
Mr Martin also said in the statement: “I believe that everyone should get a second chance.”
Seats laid out at the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire last night; Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey leaving the hotel last night
RTÉ’s Political Correspondent Paul Cunningham told Morning Ireland that last night’s motion calling for an urgent review of general election candidates by Fine Gael’s executive council passed 88 in favour and 66 against.
He said 120 chairs were laid out for last night’s meeting but 160 people turned up, while around 20 people spoke, including Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey.
He described the atmosphere as “pointed but polite” and that most of the speakers spoke against the motion.
He said Ms Bailey told those present that the opinions of Fine Gael’s members mattered to her; she was “always a diligent TD”; she was “fighting for her political life”; and she “regretted how the party became engulfed in media exposure” but she wants to be their candidate.
Last night’s motion is not a binding motion and Fine Gael’s executive council will now have the final say as to who will go on the general election ticket.
Listen back in full here
Last night: Sway To Go
Previously: “The Motion Is Widely Viewed As A Move Against Her”
‘I Found Myself On The Floor’
Pics: Paul Cunningham
Meanwhile, in Dun Laoghaire…
Gavin Reilly tweetz:
NEW: Dún Laoghaire branch of FG PASSES a motion asking party HQ to review its election ticket – in other words, asking it to take Maria Bailey off the #GE20 ticket.
Earlier: “The Motion Is Widely Viewed As A Move Against Her”
Previously: Rat’s All Folks