Tag Archives: guilty

From top: Garda Sean Lucey and RTÉ cameraman Colm Hand; a scuffle during the Pegida rally in central Dublin in 2016

This afternoon.

Via RTE:

A garda who struck an RTÉ cameraman with a baton during a rally in Dublin three years ago has been found guilty of assault.

Garda Sean Lucey, a member of the Public Order Unit, had pleaded not guilty to assault causing harm to cameraman Colm Hand.

Lucey, 42, was found not guilty of damaging a camera at Cathedral Street on 6 February 2016.

The incident occurred as Mr Hand and a colleague were working at a demonstration and counter rally in Dublin by the far-right group Pegida and anti-racism groups….

Garda guilty of assaulting RTÉ cameraman (RTÉ)

Previously: A Day At The Racists (2016)

Pic: Courts News Ireland

screen-shot-2015-01-19-at-12-19-02

Taosieach Enda Kenny and IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde at Government Buildings in Dublin in January 2015

The Financial Times reports:

Christine Lagarde was found guilty of negligence in public office by a special Paris court on Monday in a case that has cast a cloud over her position as managing director of the International Monetary Fund.

A French tribunal decided not to hand down any sentence to the former French finance minister. Ms Lagarde’s lawyer said the verdict would not enter into her judicial record and claimed the verdict as a “half victory”.

The court, dedicated to judging ministers, said Ms Lagarde failed to prevent a fraudulent €403m payout the French state made to flamboyant entrepreneur Bernard Tapie when she was finance minister.

The court said that Ms Lagarde should have appealed the payout, which occurred in 2008.

The conviction is an unwelcome stain on the IMF managing director’s stint at the fund. But it may not be enough to see her toppled at the head of the fund.

French court finds Christine Lagarde guilty of negligence (Financial Times)

Meanwhile…

c0dagaiwiaa3kfu

Statement via Thanasis Koukakis

Previously: The Real Heroes

He’s Held In High Lagarde

imagecvso4hxueae-dim-1

From top: Joan Burton during the protest in Jobstown, Tallaght, 2014; Protesters outside the Children’s Court in Smithfield, Dublin 7 this morning

This morning.

…Judge John King at the Children’s Court in Dublin said the boy, who was 15 at the time, was present as Ms Burton and her adviser walked to the church from the local An Cosán centre in Jobstown until the slow march of the garda vehicle in which she was a passenger, out of the area.

He said the boy had witnessed what was going on and instead of disassociating himself, he was an active participant.

The judge said the personal liberty of Ms Burton and Ms O’Connell was restricted, without their consent.

He said the assembly of people was not peaceful and the behaviour of the protesters was contrary to public order and morality.

Accordingly, he said the protest did not attract protection under the constitution or the European Convention on Human Rights.

Teen found guilty of false imprisonment of Burton and adviser at water protest (RTE)

Meanwhile…

cvsqikgwgaamvb4

Pics via Paul Murphy and Joe Higgins

UPDATE:

RTE further reports:

Judge King said he could not give the boy an unconditional discharge.

But he imposed a conditional discharge, meaning he will not have a criminal record if he does not re-offend and is of good behaviour for nine months.

Further to this…

RTE’s legal affairs correspondent Orla O’Donnell, told RTE’s News At One:

“Detective Garda Paul Smith told the court that neither Joan Burton or Karen O’Connell wanted to give any victim impact statements and he said that Joan Burton told him specifically that she had no desire to see any young person jailed in relation to the charges before the court.”

Detective Garda Smith also told the court that the boy had no previous convictions and the court heard that he was very much involved in his local community, he worked with the homeless, he received a Gaisce award, he done well in his Leaving Cert, he had an offer of a full-time job and that that job was going to pay for his third-level education. So, a strong plea was made on his behalf – that he should not receive a conviction, that he be left without a criminal record.”

“The court also heard he was suffering from medical problems the last while, there was concern that stress about this case was a very big factor in that.”

Update:

90432757 90432758 90432769 90432771 90432772

Scenes outside the Children’s Court this morning as solicitor Michael Finucane (pic 3), who represents the 17-year-old boy, speaks to the media about the guilty verdict.

Sam Boal/Rollingnews