RTÉ One’s RTÉ Investigates: The ESB Leaks
Carole (Ducky) tweetz:
‘First Broadcasted’? ‘Broadcasted’? 👀 Oh, RTÉ Investigates.
Watch RTÉ Investigates in full here
On RTÉ One, at 9.35pm, RTÉ Investigates will broadcast a programme examining the repeated failures of the former Catholic Boy Scouts of Ireland and the Scouting Association of Ireland in relation to sex abuse allegations.
The broadcast of Scouts Dishonour comes as Scouting Ireland, set up in 2003, continues to carry out its own historic review of how sex abuse allegations have been handled, with a report due out next February.
Reporter Oonagh Smyth told Audrey Carville, on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, that tonight’s documentary includes the case of one man who was first reported in 1987 and again in 1996.
However, the man wasn’t removed from the scouts until last year – when he was arrested.
She also referred to a briefing note prepared for the Minister for Children Katherine Zappone last year by Scouting Ireland’s CEO John Lawlor – that Ms Smyth and her team got under the Freedom of Information Act.
She said this states many records went missing in the 1990s from both the former Catholic Boy Scouts of Ireland and the Scouting Association of Ireland and that there were people in the organisations who were prepared to facilitate the abuse and prevent cases from coming to light.
Ms Smyth said survivors are calling for a more independent inquiry than the review being currently undertaken by Scouting Ireland.
She also said the most recent figures indicate that 247 alleged perpetrators of abuse and 401 alleged cases of sexual abuse within the scouts have been identified.
Listen back in full here
Minister for Children Katherine Zappone; clip from RTE Investigates: Creches – Behind Closed Doors which was broadcast on July 24 last
On Wednesday, July 24 last, RTÉ’s Investigates broadcast a report about the standards of care at the Hyde & Seek Childcare company.
The report, called Creches – Behind Closed Doors, exposed failings in the standard of care provided to children in a number of the company’s branches across Dublin.
A Garda investigation into some issues raised in the report was launched after the broadcast.
Further to this…
Aoife Hegarty, of RTÉ, reports today that concerns about the company were raised with the Minister for Children Katherine Zappone more than a year ago.
Ms Hegarty reports:
Correspondence obtained by Fianna Fáil TD Anne Rabbitte shows Minister Zappone received a copy of a complaint forwarded to the Child & Family Agency TUSLA from a parent regarding the Hyde & Seek crèche at Glasnevin on Dublin’s northside.
The new purpose-built facility operated for 14 months without registration.
…The complaint from the parent, which detailed a series of issues with child-to-staff ratios and other safety concerns, was first shared with Minister for Finance Paschal Donohue, who subsequently forwarded it to Minister Zappone.
Minister Zappone acknowledged the crèche was not registered with TUSLA, but said it would be inappropriate for her to interfere in the agency’s ongoing investigations.
Watch the RTE Prime Time investigation back in full here
Yesterday: Misleading Survivors And The Dáil
A day after the RTE Investigates documentary was broadcast…
My child was in the creche in #RTEInvestigates in 2009. I took him out & complained to HSE about treatment of children. Yet creche continued. Im not shocked by #creches scandal. It will continue until weve a govt that really cares for children, funds & enforces quality childcare
— Rory Hearne (@RoryHearne) July 25, 2019
My son has been in hyde & seek for 2 years. Shocked and furious at what the owners have been calling care! #RTEInvestigates
— Eugene Gallagher (@hugejeans05) July 24, 2019
Are you happy that Govt money continues to go into the #hydeandseek creche? Min @KZapponeTD: “No Govt money goes into unregistered services.” But the Hyde and Seek #creche was not properly registered for 14 months. “@Tusla has the power to de-register services” #RTEInvestigates
— Morning Ireland (@morningireland) July 25, 2019
Further to last night’s RTÉ Investigates which revealed a pattern of disturbing behaviour and practices at Hyde and Seek crèches, including fire-safety breaches and rough handling of children….
Ms Zappone told RTÉ radio’s Morning Ireland that she had been deeply upset by the revelations and she urged parents to “listen to their gut” if they were concerned about their child’s care.
She was particularly concerned that despite regulations and improvements that “this appalling behaviour is happening.”
However, when asked if she would be seeking the closure of the Hyde & Seek chain, she said that as Minister she did not want to say anything that would “inhibit the process.”
Yesterday: Staying In Tonight?
— Teresa Heeney (@TeresaHeeney) July 24, 2019
RTÉ can reveal that one of the owners of the Hyde & Seek Childcare crèche chain in Dublin, Anne Davy, is to step down and take no future role in front line childcare provision as a result of findings to be revealed in an RTÉ Investigates documentary.
The programme to be broadcast tonight, went undercover to look at standards of care in the company…RTÉ had two undercover researchers successfully apply for childcare positions with the Hyde & Seek company….
RTÉ Investigates: Crèches, Behind Closed Doors at 9.35pm on RTÉ One.
Staying in tonight?
RTÉ Investigates – Greyhounds, Running for Their Lives.
The Irish Greyhound Board paid consultancy firm Preferred Results Ltd €115,000 to prepare a business analysis report in 2017.
It stated that 16,000 greyhounds are born each year, of which 5,987 are killed because they fail to make qualification times or their performance declines.
The report estimated 1000% more pups are bred than racing actually needs.
It proposed comprehensive reforms which were not adopted by the IGB.
Across the country RTÉ Investigates looked for evidence of what happened the unwanted dogs.
30 licensed knackeries in Ireland were contacted and – half of them, 15, said they would kill greyhounds for prices ranging from €10 to €35 each….
RTÉ Investigates – Greyhounds, Running for Their Lives at 9.35pm on RTÉ One.
Dr Higgins: “We are facing into a steroid epidemic. What is so important is that young people are educated about #steroids… there’s an increase risk of stroke, increased risk of heart attack, increased risk of sudden death, prostate cancer, a significant cost” #RTEInvestigates pic.twitter.com/3kw8Gpn0fA
— RTÉ (@rte) December 12, 2018
“In 10 yrs time are some of these young lads gonna be washed up. Some will end up in trouble their kidneys, their liver, but they don’t care right now. They’re going to the gym, taking selfies. They’re looking good on Saturday night in a shirt. Its madness” #RTEInvestigates pic.twitter.com/14AowiKNPC
— RTÉ (@rte) December 12, 2018
Agris Bremsmits was listed as apart time personal trainer on a Finglas Gym website. He was convicted on nine counts of selling #steroids last year. Within 20 minutes of meeting him for a personal training session he offered to sell #RTEInvestigates steroids pic.twitter.com/51fqJlaKxJ
— RTE One (@RTEOne) December 12, 2018
Those who market themselves and earn their living as Instagram fitness/aesthetic influencers ought to submit themselves for regular drug screening. Prove to their followers – who compare themselves to unattainable standards they are in fact “natural” #rteinvestigates
— col 🇵🇸 (@cp_conlan) December 12, 2018
‘Bridget M’ writes:
Credit where it’s due…[last night’s] RTÉ Investigates [on anabolic steroids] was public service broadcasting at its best… I think it will change the whole culture around steroid use among young men in Ireland..It was well-researched and pretty terrifying for any parent… I have an idea who the social influencer [mentioned during the show] could be but does anyone know why they weren’t named?
Watch back here
On RTÉ One’s Prime Time, at 9.35pm.
Frank Shouldice, of RTÉ Investigates, reports:
Your Service Your Say is a bedrock of HSE public policy. It invites, even encourages, those who use any of its many health services to step forward with a comment or complaint when the occasion arises.
This means everybody – from hospital patients to their families and friends.
In promoting a Your Service Your Say policy the National Healthcare Charter boldly declares: “Your feedback matters – tell us about your experience so that we can have your concerns addressed.”
It promises to “involve you and your family and carers in decision-making about your healthcare.”
This is not the experience of the five people who feature in RTÉ Investigates – Troublemakers, which airs on Prime Time tonight.
Monaghan County Councillor Hugh McElvaney speaking to an undercover reporter on an RTÉ Investigates programme in 2015
In 2015, an undercover reporter for RTÉ Investigates presented themselves to former Fine Gael Monaghan County Councillor Hugh McElvaney as a representative of a fictitious firm called Vinst Opportunities which, Mr McElvaney was told, wanted to set up wind farms in Ireland.
During their meeting, Mr McElvaney told the RTÉ reporter that he would help the company get planning permission.
Asked how much he was looking for, he told the reporter:
“Ten grand would be a start.”
Further to this…
The Standards In Public Office Commission writes:
“The investigation hearing into the alleged contraventions of the Ethical Framework for Local Government Service by Councillor Hugh McElvaney of Monaghan County Council will commence at 9.30am on Monday, 17 September 2018, at the offices of the Standards in Public Office Commission at 18 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2.
“There will be a limited number of space available for the public who may wish to attend.”
Mr McElvaney is still a Monghan County Councillor but he is no longer with Fine Gael.
Previously: “What’s In It For Me?”
From last night’s RTÉ Investigates programme Chaos In Care
On RTÉ One.
Aoife Hegarty, of RTÉ Investigates, presented a report entitled Chaos In Care.
It examined how certain vulnerable children, in the care of the State, have been harrowingly failed by the State.
It also looked at cases from the report published yesterday by the Special Rapporteur on Child Protection Dr Geoffrey Shannon which looked at the use of Section 12 of the Child Care Act 1991 by An Garda Siochana.
Section 12 of the act allows gardai to remove a child if they believe there is a serious risk to the child’s health or welfare.
In one particular case, Ms Hegarty reported:
In 2011 a young boy living in voluntary foster care – who we’ve named ‘Mark’ – told his birth mother [‘Susan’] he had been inappropriately touched by another, male foster child twice his age who was also living with the same foster family.
‘Susan’ – which is not her real name – discovered ‘Mark’ had made a similar allegation to his foster parent 5 weeks earlier but it had not been reported to the HSE.
‘Susan’ asked to have ‘Mark’ moved from the foster placement while an investigation took place – this did not happen.
Instead a safety plan was put in place by the HSE. – this consisted of little more than an instruction to the foster parents that the two boys – who had been sharing a bedroom – “should have separate bedrooms and that the [foster] carers should supervise” them closely.
Two months later, the HSE referred ‘Mark’ for assessment by child sexual abuse experts.
The experts concluded that ‘Mark’ gave “a credible account of experiencing inappropriate sexual behaviour by his foster sibling”.
But while ‘Mark’ was assessed, it appears from case notes that his foster sibling was not.
Over the following months ‘Mark’ displayed sexualised behaviour and ‘Susan’ repeatedly reported this to the social work department.
[‘Susan’ said: “He was using his teddy bear to, pushing it up against his genitals, it was like he was imitating what had been done to him. Yeah he was saying ‘touch me you cunt’, he tried to kiss his older brother, he put his hand on his inner thigh and tried to kiss him in an adult way.”]
‘Susan’ believed her concerns were not being taken seriously by social workers so she reported the matter to the Gardaí asking them to investigate.
In fact cases notes seen by RTÉ Investigates show that An Garda Síochána were “…quite irate…” at the management of Mark’s case by the HSE social work department – stating that the Gardaí…. “Would have a different view of child sexual abuse…” The HSE decided to leave ‘Mark’ in the foster home despite his birth mother’s concerns.
Almost 3 years later… ‘Mark’ made a second allegation – this time to a TUSLA staff member that he was being punched by the same older foster child AND by an adult son of the foster family.
The foster parents were again advised by the social work department to “increase supervision” of the boys and ‘Susan’ was informed about the allegation.
In late 2015 TUSLA applied to the courts for a full care order for ‘Mark’.
As part of the court process ‘Susan’ was required to produce two psychiatric assessment reports carried out on the state of her mental health. ‘Susan’ agreed.
But what ‘Susan’ didn’t understand was that she would be personally billed by her doctor for the reports – €500 for the first report and €300 for the second one.
On one occasion she was forced to take out a loan from her credit union to cover the cost.
In an initial statement to RTÉ, TUSLA said it “…does not require individuals to undertake psychiatric assessments at their own expense…”
However when we went back and asked TUSLA to explain why ‘Susan’ ended up paying her doctors bill, a spokesperson said they “…cannot comment on individual cases…”
Last year the court ruled that ‘Mark’ will stay in care until the age of 18.
‘Mark’ continues to live with the same foster family to the present day – along with the older child alleged to have previously abused him.
Watch Chaos In Care in full here