[Silvano Tomasi, the Vatican’s representative to the United Nations, left, and Msgr. Charles J. Scicluna, the Vatican’s former chief sex crimes investigator during a UN human rights committee hearing on January 16]]
A U.N. human rights committee has denounced the Vatican for adopting policies that allowed priests to rape and molest tens of thousands of children, and urged it to open its files on the pedophiles and the churchmen who concealed their crimes.
In a devastating report Wednesday, the U.N. committee also severely criticized the Holy See for its attitudes toward homosexuality, contraception and abortion and urged it to review its policies to ensure children’s rights and their access to health care.
The committee issued its recommendations after subjecting the Holy See to a daylong interrogation last month on its implementation of the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child, the main international treaty ensuring children’s rights.
UN denounces Vatican on sex abuse, abortion (AP)
[John English described as a “serious threat to the women of Cork” was granted bail yesterday against the reactivation of the suspended portion of his 18-year sentence]
Counsel for English, Dominic McGinn SC, yesterday told the Court of Criminal Appeal that the obligation for English to abide by all recommendations of the probation service was placed on him for five years from Jun 28, 2004 — the date of his sentence — and not the date of his release from prison in Sept 2012. He said this was the only bond entered into by English.
Mr Justice Adrian Hardiman, presiding, said this “elegant and narrow” point, an unusual structural matter concerning the constitution of a court order, appeared to be arguable.
He said the court considered Mr McGinn had raised a substantial point, albeit “an entirely technical one”, which allowed English to surmount the hurdles by way of getting bail pending an appeal. As any release on bail would also have to be under terms and conditions, the judge said the court itself would take the bond…
Legal Coffee Drinker’s verdict to follow.
‘Threat to women of Cork’ freed on bail (Brian Kavanagh, Irish Examiner)
A [21-year-old] former classroom assistant (above) who allegedly made a sex tape with a Belfast schoolboy that ended up on a pornographic website could face up to five years in prison for ‘abuse of trust’ if charged and convicted.
The former classroom assistant was suspended from St Mary’s Christian Brothers Boy’s Grammar School in west Belfast after a 30-minute sex video, featuring her and a teenager, thought to be a 16-year-old, emerged on the internet.
The age of consent for sexual activity in Northern Ireland is 16, however it is illegal for anyone in a position of trust to engage in sexual activity with a person under 18 years of age.
School assistant could face jail over sex video with 16-year-old Belfast pupil at St Mary’s Christian Brothers Boy’s Grammar School (Amanda Ferguson, Belfast Telegraph)
Sex tape image see over Continue reading
(Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan)
A man who raped his victim for five hours after breaking into her house armed with a hatchet has been jailed for seven years at the Central Criminal Court. The Cork man forced his way into the home of his ex-girlfriend and threatened to kill her by driving them both into the sea. He also cut her off her hair with a scissors because she was not performing sexual acts to his liking.
At a sentencing hearing, Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan was told the case is deemed by the DPP to “be at the higher end of the scale”. Blaise O’Carroll, defending, said his client wants to apologise to the victim but is too shy to do it himself. Counsel said the man was “very much in love” with the woman and they had great times together. He said he was “absolutely shattered and destroyed when the relationship ended”.
Hatchet-wielding rapist jailed for seven years (Conor Gallagher, Irish Examiner)
Albert Gonzalez/Photocall Ireland
Judge Of The Day Hall of Famer Judge Martin Nolan, no longer in the Family Court, delivers another memorable judgment
A Dublin father who sexually assaulted his neighbour while her eight-year-old son lay in the bed beside was given a two-year, suspended sentence. The child woke up during the assault, recognised the man and told him to “get off my Mammy” before he leaned over and tried to push him away.
The man later told gardaí that he had no idea how he ended up in the woman’s bed and said he thought the victim was his partner when he began touching her
….Judge Martin Nolan said the man had given “an explanation of sorts” for what he did that night but added “I don’t find it very believable, to put it bluntly”.
He suspended the entire two-year sentence after he said that he didn’t think, considering the man’s lack of relevant convictions and genuine remorse, that the crime justified an immediate custodial sentence.
Dublin man avoids jail for sexual assault while victim’s son was in same bed (BreakingNews.ie)
Previously: To The Family Court With You
Judge Of The Day
Notorious WIG Does it Again
That would be Martin Nolan.
Tough on unscrupulous garlic importers, not so tough on fellas who attack 17-year-old girls.
Earlier: Sex Crimes And Irish Justice
The following offenders avoided jail today.
Peter McEvoy (63), a former youth worker and nurse’s assistant, had 8,584 images of child pornography and 679 videos…When he spoke to the accused, the defendant said he had come across the child porn by accident but had become addicted to it.
Man Given Suspended Sentence For Child Porn (RTE)
A Louth resident who committed a random violent sexual attack on a teenager as the victim’s friend tried to rescue her has escaped jail on condition he pay €15,000 to the girl.
Graham Griffiths (29) later told gardaí that he felt he was “under some magnetic force” and “it must have been the hormones” that caused him to attack the 17-year-old girl.
Sex Attacker Escapes Jail Term (Irish Times)
Previously: “Money Talks”
Handed Down By His Honour Judge Desmond Hogan
Thanks Lars Biscuits