Tag Archives: Cork

Farmers protesting outside a Lidl distribution centre in Ballyhea, Co Cork

This afternoon.

Further to this morning’s farmers’ protest outside a Lidl distribution centre in Ballyhea, Co Cork this morning…

Claire McCormack, in Agriland, reports:

Meat processor ABP has confirmed that it will increase its base price for cattle next Monday, December 9.

AgriLand understands that a minimum increase of 5c/kg is expected.

In a statement issued this afternoon, Friday, December 6, a spokesperson for ABP confirmed the move, whilst also criticising the Irish Farmers’ Association (IFA) for staging a series of protests on the beef price issue over the last 48 hours.

The spokesperson said: “The company is at a complete loss to understand why Joe Healy, the outgoing IFA president, pursued a course of irresponsible, disruptive and illegal action at retail distribution centres this week.

“The Beef Taskforce met on Tuesday and Joe Healy and the IFA were fully aware that market indications pointed towards a cattle price increase in Ireland. This was reported extensively.”

ABP to increase base price for cattle next week (Agriland)

Earlier: Beefing Up

Pic: C103

Concert promoter Peter Aiken at Dublin’s RDS last year

This afternoon.

Robert MacNamara, in the Echo, reports:

Concert promoter Peter Aiken has said is he is unaware that developers plan to begin work on the Live at the Marquee site at the end of next summer, bringing the long-running concert series to an end.

Speaking to the Echo this morning, the man who has brought the likes of Brian Wilson, Elton John and Bob Dylan to the tent at the docklands since it’s first staging in 2005 said he has not been in contact with site owners Glenveagh Properties about plans for the site’s development.

…Up to 1,000 homes are expected to be built on the land.

Responding to news being reported in the local media this morning that 2020 will be the last year of the much-loved concert series, Mr Aiken said: “I haven’t heard that, I don’t know anything about it.”

Marquee promoter unaware of developer plans on concert site; annual series set to end in 2020 (EchoLive)

Rollingnews

Yesterday evening.

Just before 5.30pm…

Auschwitz Memorial tweeted:

“Arbeit macht frei” was a false, cynical illusion the SS gave to prisoners of the Auschwitz camp. Those words became one of the icons of human hatred hate. It’s painful to see this symbol ‘interpreted’ over ‘ Cork Employment Services Office’. Please remove it.

Just before 8pm…

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection tweeted:

Dept Employment Affairs & Social Protection confirms that an extremely
offensive sign was placed on outside of Hanover Street office, in Cork by unknown persons yesterday. It was removed immediately. We very much regret that this happened. We have reported it to gardaí.

Anyone?

Pics: Auschwitz Memorial

UPDATE:

This morning, PJ Coogan, of Cork’s 96FM, spoke to the two Polish men, called Chris and Piotr, who alerted the Intreo office about the sticker.

In the interview, Chris explained that he was waiting outside the office on Tuesday when he noticed the sign.

He took a picture but was too busy trying to sort out his affairs within the office that he didn’t alert anyone at the office at that point.

He said it wasn’t until he left, and had more time to think about it, that he realised how “bad” the sign was.

He and Piotr returned to the office on Wednesday and Chris spoke to the centre’s security officer and manager.

Chris said they took the mater very seriously, acted professionally and apologised.

He said within 20 minutes the sticker was taken down.

Listen back in full here

Thanks Fergal Barry

 

John Finn tweetz:

I was doing a property shoot in Cork City last Thursday. A man stopped and started posing. An inoffensive, humorous guy, full of fun. I took his snap and he was delighted. His name was Tim Hourihane, from Bantry. He was murdered on Saturday night. RIP.

Gardaí confirm probe into death of homeless man in Cork is now a murder inquiry (Joe Leogue, The Irish Examiner)

Portuguese man o ‘war found on Fanore Beach, Co Clare

The Big Jellyfish Hunt writez on Facebook:

Over the weekend we have had very large numbers of Portuguese man o ‘war washing up. 100s reported washed up on many different beaches.

Observations are still mostly from the south coast (Cork and Kerry) but we have more activity along the west (Clare to Mayo) and a few reports from the southeast (Wexford).

Please continue to submit records on the National Biodiversity Data Centre jellyfish sightings page so we can track numbers. Many thanks.

Jellyfish can be recorded here

The Big Jellyfish Hunt

Risk of stinging: ‘Phenomenal’ numbers of deadly Portuguese man-of-war jellyfish wash up on beaches (Independent.ie)

Pics: Burren Shores

Rental adverts in Dublin

This morning.

Ben Haugh reports in the Times Ireland edition...

The RTB will today announce two new rent pressure zones in Carlow and Macroom in Cork. Rents in Carlow increased by 12.6 per cent over the past year to €879, while they rose by 19.1 per cent in Macroom to €915.

The average rent in the capital was €1,713 at the end of June, compared with €1,599 in the same period last year.

The cost of renting in Cork city increased by 4.2 per cent to €1,177; in Galway city by 5.7 per cent to €1,117; in Limerick city by 10.2 per cent to €973; and in Waterford city by 13.9 per cent to €843.

Pressure zones fail to put cap on soaring rents (Ben Haugh, Times Ireland edition)

Rollingnews

Outside The Venue Bars on Blackrock Road, Ballintemple, Cork on Sunday morning.

Anyone?

UPDATE:

This morning.

Members of Fine Gael, including Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and Minister for Agriculture and Cork TD Michael Creed (centre pic) and Maria Bailey TD and Marcella Corcoran Kennedy TD (above), at the party’s ‘think-in’ at Garryvoe Hotel in Garryvoe, Co Cork.

Meanwhile…

On RTÉ’s News At One

Tánaiste Simon Coveney, above, told the show:

“Fine Gael is a safe pair of hands in Government. Yes, we’ve made some mistakes….I would ask people to judge governments and judge political parties by their record and I think, by the time an election comes around next May, I would hope that we’ll be able to stand over a very strong record.”

Listen back in full here

Rollingnews

UPDATE:

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has told those attending the Fine Gael think-in:

“I have always said that I believed that the next general election should take place in the summer of 2020.

I think May 2020 is the right moment. It will allow to us to complete a full parliamentary session in the new year, discharge our Government duties around St Patrick’s Day and the March European Council and have a new Government in place well in advance of the next summer recess.”

May 2020 is the ‘right moment’ for a general election, says Taoiseach (The Irish Times)