Tag Archives: Twitter

This afternoon.

The US Senate.

In a contentious hearing, the CEOs of Google, Facebook, and Twitter, from top: Sundar Pichai, Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey were questioned by Senators over their content moderation policies.

Via CNN:

[Republican Senator] Ted Cruz angrily went after Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, pressing him on the platform’s decision to restrict content posted by the New York Post. He concluded by shouting at Dorsey: “Mr. Dorsey, who the hell elected you and put you in charge of what the media are allowed to report and what the American people are allowed to hear, and why do you persist in behaving as a Democratic super PAC silencing views to the contrary of your political beliefs?”

And take off the damn nose ring.

It’s not Coachella, you shadow-banning spanner.

CEOs of Google, Twitter and Facebook grilled in Senate hearing (CNN)

US Democrat Presidential candidate, Joe Biden (left) with his son Hunter

September 20, 2020

October 14, 2020

Last night

Oh.

Facebook And Twitter Limit Sharing ‘New York Post’ Story About Joe Biden (NPR)

Via Nathan Brand

Yesterday: Residential

UPDATE:

This afternoon

Republican Senator Ted Cruz on Twitter blocking the New York Post article.

Good luck, Jack.

Luke Ming Flanagan MEP

This afternoon.

Further to a late night tweet from his account mentioning a newspaper photograph of former Green Party candidate Saoirse McHugh skinny dipping….

Luke Ming Flanagan MEP writes:

The Directorate-General for Security and Safety of the European Parliament (DG SAFE) are assisting me with a police investigation into the unauthorised use of my Twitter account which took place from a location in Belgium.

A Parliamentary assistant of mine along with an appointed investigator from DG SAFE met with the Belgian Police on Wednesday morning.

I have now established that my Twitter account had been logged into on a third party app called Tweetcaster.

This app allowed an individual to tweet from my account using an old password. This app was used twice to access my Twitter account from Belgium on September 28. The same day that an unauthorised tweet was posted and then deleted from my account.

At the time the tweet was posted and then deleted I was in Ireland and have been since March of this year due to Covid 19 restrictions.

The police have been provided with the Belgian IP address associated with the use of my account on the Tweetcaster app on that day. They are now working with me to establish the exact location and identity of the individual who has carried out this malicious act of vandalism on my good name.

Previously: Hacked

Rollingnews


Examples of media and social media monitoring carried out by the Department of Justice

In recent days.

The Movement of Asylum Seekers, along with Ken Foxe and Sian Cowman, obtained a tranche of documents totalling 494 pages from the Department of Justice detailing how the department has been monitoring media articles, Twitter exchanges about these articles, and criticism posted on Twitter about direct provision.

MASI has said it has learned that the Department of Justice directed its Transparency Unit to conduct the monitoring after MASI refused to delete a tweet about the death of an asylum seeker at the Central Hotel in Dublin on April 15 last.

The documents show that, on April 16, the Deputy Secretary General at the Department of Justice Oonagh Buckley wrote to MASI members Lucky Khambule and Bulelani Mfaco saying that the department couldn’t understand why MASI tweeted about this death at the hotel “in such an insensitive manner”.

Ms Buckley said that the person who died had family living in Ireland and the gardai were on the way to tell the family about the death at the time of the tweets. She said another department official had asked MASI to remove the tweets on April 15 but that MASI had refused.

Ms Buckley also included a copy of the International Protection Accommodation Service’s Critical Incident Policy (which was established last November).

She also wrote: “Indeed our request was met with another tweet to the effect that the Department was engaging in a culture of secrecy. Nothing could be further from the truth.”

Ms Buckley also informed MASI that the letter she was writing to them would be copied to all NGOs “involved in the briefing sessions to date”.

Many may consider MASI’s claim that the department works in secrecy utterly plausible, given it’s unclear how many people have died by suicide in Direct Provision since it began in 1999, how deaths in direct provision are recorded, and especially given the aftermath of the death of Sylva Tukula.

In August 2018, asylum seeker Sylva Tukula, who was living in the Direct Provision system in Galway city, died of natural causes. It later emerged that she had been buried in May 2019 without the knowledge of her friends or fellow residents at the centre where she had lived – even though they were assured they would be notified once arrangements for her burial would be made.

Ms Tukula, who identified as a transwoman, died in the men’s-only Great Western House Direct Provision centre in Galway. At the time of her death, it had been reported that she had requested to be moved out of the all-male centre where she reportedly had a single room.

On April 18, MASI wrote back to the department and highlighted the lack of transparency surrounding deaths of people living in direct provision, saying:

‘The UN’s Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, informed by submissions from Irish civil society, recently called on Ireland to, amongst other things, “Ensure transparency regarding deaths in direct provision centres and collect and publish data on such deaths.” The IPAS Critical Incident Policy does not address this.’

The dossier, dated from April 23, 2020 and runs until June, begins with the noting of an Irish Times article which quotes Dr Eamonn Faller, an infectious disease specialist registrar at Cork University Hospital, describing direct provision centres as “powder kegs for Covid-19”.

The article includes calls from the Irish Refugee Council and Sanctuary Runners to have vulnerable people living in direct provision moved out of cramped centres to protect them from contracting Covid-19.

The dossier then goes on to include criticisms of direct provision both related, and unrelated, to Covid-19, until the end of June.

The collection of material includes media articles, tweets about these articles and, separately, tweets about direct provision. It predominantly focuses on tweets from the Movement of Asylum Seekers in Ireland (MASI) but also includes tweets from celebrities, prominent media figures, politicians, lawyers, journalists, news outlets, civil liberty campaigners, charity and NGO workers, and what the department calls “online activists”.

It mainly involves screenshots of their tweets and links to their individual Twitter pages but also, in many instances, makes a note of the number or ‘likes’ or ‘retweets’ a tweet received. It also notes comments made under media articles.

The full dossier of 15 PDFs can be read here

Last year, solicitor Simon McGarr revealed how the Department of Employment and Social Protection monitored his media appearances  and tweets concerning the Public Services Card.

Meanwhile, yesterday, in a story about the dossier by Ellen Coyne in the Sunday Independent, Ms Coyne reported:

The Department of Justice said it started a new policy of monitoring social media during Covid-19 to improve its communications strategy.

The department said it has also started monitoring tweets about An Garda Síochána, prisons, family law, domestic violence and family courts. It said monitoring social media allowed it to “correct any inaccuracies raised, investigate complaints and respond accordingly”.

Anyone?

Department of Justice officials monitor posts criticising Direct Provision on social media (Sunday Independent)

Gemma O’Doherty has been banned from Twitter

Left-wing cancellation jubilation.

Right-wing platform jumping.

This may never end.

Parler?

From top: Twitter CEO Peter Dinklage Jack Dorsey; tweets announcing the purging of Qanon accounts

Last night/this morning.

Twitter said t has removed more than 7,000 accounts associated with the QAnon conspiracy theory…

…Content associated with QAnon will be banned from the platform’s trends section and tweets sharing links involving QAnon theories will be blocked, Twitter officials said.

Twitter officials said that the crackdown against QAnon is expected to affect more than 150,000 accounts, making it the most wide-reaching and aggressive response to the pro-Trump conspiracy theory that any social media platform has ever undertaken.

The new measures against QAnon, Twitter said, are in line with the company’s effort to police content that can lead to offline harm…

Is someone over the target?

We may never know.

Twitter Removes Thousands Of QAnon Accounts, Promises Sweeping Ban On The Conspiracy (NPR)

Getty

Last night.

Twitter HQ, Fenian Street, Dublin 2.

Poo-based, Trump-related ‘Projection Bomb’ visual caper carried out by Twitter Action Ireland, ‘a group of artists and activists’ policing the Twittersphere.

Caroline writes:

We have carried out this action at Twitter’s EMEA headquarters Dublin in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter protests in the United States and across the world.

We are embarrassed and angry that Twitter’s worldwide dissemination of Donald Trump’s racist views continues to be funded by the Irish state by way of the disreputable Irish tax avoidance schemes…

We call on the Irish employees of Twitter to take action in support of our demands. If you no longer want to work in a environment that facilitates Trump’s racism please make your feelings known to Twitter management.

…Together we have the power to bring about change. Let’s make Twitter Dump Racist Trump.”

FIGHT!