Anti-mask mandate protest in Dublin last Friday
Via RTÉ News:
The Department of Education has revised a controversial instruction issued to schools last week, which directed that older children should be refused entry to primary schools if they decline to wear a mask without medical reason.
In fresh guidance sent this morning, the department has told schools that “it is not intended that any child will be excluded from a school in the first instance“.
There was outcry last week after primary schools were directed in a memo sent late on Tuesday to refuse entry to older pupils who presented without masks.
Schools were initially told the instruction applied from Wednesday morning. However later the department clarified that “flexibility” would be allowed during the first couple of days.
That’ll learn them
Primary pupils won’t be excluded for no masks – Dept (RTÉ)
Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Katherine Zappone
Further to public outcry, Katherine Zappone has revised her decision to not pay childcare providers who close their service in order to attend a protest next Wednesday.
That initial decision, Ms Zappone said on Tuesday, was based on “legal advice”.
This afternoon, a press release from the Department for Children and Youth Affairs states:
Having considered the concerns and circumstances of the Childcare sector, Minister Zappone has instructed the Department of Children and Youth Affairs and Pobal to authorise payments to childcare services who close during the day of protest on February 5th.
Payments will be made on condition that Childcare Providers find an alternative, suitable date for parents to avail of childcare services in lieu of the day that the Service is closed.
Statement by Minister Katherine Zappone T.D. on payments to Childcare Services for the Day of Protest (Department of Children and Youth Affairs)
Earlier: And Your Little Dog Too
Martin Naughton (above), a support officer with the Disability Federation of Ireland, briefing fellow disability campaigners on his meeting earlier (above) with Minister for Health James Reilly.
Whatever he said.
Minister for Health Tells HSE Not To proceed With Personal Assistant Cuts (RTE)
(Mark Stedman/Photocall ireland)