Presidential candidate Sean Gallagher, accompanied by his wife Trish and children Bobby and Lucy (top), lodged his election nomination papers.
He went on to tell awaiting reporters that he won’t be taking part in a presidential debate on RTÉ Radio One’s News at One on Thursday because President Michael D Higgins cannot attend due to a pre-existing commitment.
Jack Power, in The Irish Times, reports:
Submitting his nomination forms this morning, Mr Gallagher said he would not be participating in the debate due to President Higgins’ absence, in the interest of “fairness” that all candidates be available to take part.
The “situation could easily have been avoided had RTÉ contacted the office of the President to find out if indeed the President was available on these scheduled dates”, Mr Gallagher said.
“Perhaps what we do now is not concentrate on this debate, but on the lessons that can be learned going forward, to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.”
Seán Gallagher on RTÉ’s Frontline presidential debate in 2011
On RTÉ’s Morning Ireland.
Conor McMorrow reported that businessman Seán Gallagher – who finished second behind President Michael D Higgins in the 2011 presidential race – is “actively considering” running for a seat in the forthcoming presidential election.
Mr McMorrow reported:
“Sources close to him say he is actively considering a second bid at becoming the president of Ireland and he’s expecting to make up his mind in the coming two weeks. He’s carried out some private opinion polling in recent weeks as well and apparently he’s looking at data from those polls as he considers entering in the race or not.”
“I don’t know how much we can read into this but we just found out last night that the web domain seangallagher.2018.com was registered just last Wednesday, at lunchtime last Wednesday.
“Sources close to Mr Gallagher would not comment on the significance, if any of this move, but it is very interesting.”
In the apology RTÉ acknowledged that it made mistakes and failed to comply with its statutory duty under the Broadcasting Act during the programme broadcast on 24 October 2011.
It acknowledged that it should have verified the origin of the tweet [go to 5 min 15 seconds above], and the tweet should not have been erroneously attributed to another candidate’s Twitter account.
RTÉ also acknowledged that it should not have broadcast the tweet and when it became apparent that it was false, it should have immediately corrected the fact that the provenance of the tweet was mistaken.
….[Paul] Tweed [Sean Gallagher’s solicitorsaid RTÉ’s apology had been supported by the payment of “substantial damages” although he said the terms of the settlement were confidential.