The Irish Independent‘s continuing struggle against the webby forces of evil continues today. Article not available online.
Meanwhile, on Facebook:
The Stopsopaireland.com site had attracted almost 16,000 signatures by 6.00pm today, having gone live at about 9.30pm last night.
Over 2,000 signatures were added in one hour this afternoon, according to the site’s administrators. They had expected about 5,000 signatures by lunchtime, and no more than 10,000 in total.
…He [Sean Sherlock] said he had consulted with both sides of the debate and had received over 50 submissions following a consulation process. A wording for the new instrument had gone to Cabinet.
“It will go to Cabinet and the Government will decide as to when it will be rolled out and how it will be rolled out,” Mr Sherlock said.
He said the Government was trying to ensure that the rights of internet users was balanced by the rights of the copyright holders.
SIGN here
Previously: Ireland’s Sopa: Your Questions Answered
The clear implication from his [Adrian Weckler’s] interview [In yesterday’s Sunday Business Post] with Sean Sherlock is that the proposed measures will be lacking in any real detail, leaving it entirely up to the judges as to what types of blocking might emerge. (Possibly going beyond web blocking to also target hosting and other services.) This ambiguity – as well as jeopardising fundamental rights – will create intolerable uncertainty for businesses such as Google who might find themselves at risk of business threatening and unpredictable injunctions and will certainly deter others from setting up in Ireland.
“Ireland’s SOPA” Will Be Vague And Open-Ended (TJ McIntyre, IT Law In Ireland)
“The question of costs will be decided next month.”
Lawyers.
The meter is always on.
Previously: Elementary
httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citzRjwk-sQ&feature=player_embedded
Nicolas writes:
I think you should bring ACTA to your readers attention as it is the European version of SOPA/PIPA (internet wise anyway) and that the European parliament is going to vote on it shortly. Here’s a typo kinetic about it. It does sum it up pretty nicely.
In what the federal authorities on Thursday called one of the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought, the Justice Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation seized the Web site Megaupload and charged seven people connected with it with running an international enterprise based on Internet piracy.
But.
Not so fast G-men…
Coming just a day after civil protests in the United States over proposed antipiracy bills, the arrests were greeted almost immediately with digital Molotov cocktails. The hacker collective that calls itself Anonymous attacked the Web sites of the Justice Department and several major entertainment companies and trade groups in retaliation for Mega-upload’s seizure. The Justice Department’s site and several others remained inaccessible for much of Thursday afternoon.
httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h2dF-IsH0I
Pat Timlin writes:
Have to say, have been a bit baffled about the content of these proposed Bills, and I’d say a lot of your readers are too, or at least don’t understand the consequences even for us Irish people. Found this TED talk (by Clay Shirky)
which encapsulates it pretty well:
Although I agree with Broadsheet’s position with regards to SOPA, I feel that
as an Irish based website, you should be more concerned when the Irish
Governments plan to restrict the ability of Irish people to use the
internet as they see fit.
On December 19, 2011, the Irish Times stated that the Minister of State for Research (among other things) plans to allow record companies and such to be allowed to seek injunctions banning internet service providers (ISPs) from allowing access to so called online piracy sites:
This comes despite an European Court Ruling (which can be found here)
from the November 24, 2011 which says:
“EU law precludes the imposition of an injunction by a national court which requires an internet service provider to install a
filtering system with a view to preventing the illegal downloading of files”,
I find it a pity the Minister of State for Research [Sean Sherlock] has not
done his research and told EMI et al that what they are asking for is
illegal.
I hope you are as concerned about the implications that this may have
as I am and I hope you will highlight this, as you see fit.