Superhero-chinned socialist Roddy Connolly and comrade Eadhmonn MacAlpine meet Lenin at Beal na Petrograd.
Eadhmonn MacAlpine, anyone?
Kodaline – All I Want
Karl’s den our office as we write.
Michael Donnelly writes:
New music video from Irish group Kodaline. Directed by and starring Stevie Russell (Tidal). Edited by Tony Kearns (Prodigy – Firestarter, Radiohead – Just). Cinematography by Piers McGrail. Filmed in Ireland over 2 and a half days
A breathless Bird on Michael Jackson’s visit to Cork in 1988.
A fun-loving redneck called Randy,
Thought that playing a prank would be dandy,
But if you agreed,
I think that you’ll need,
A different modus operandi.
It’s not all about the children.
Nobody expected the Catholic Church to modify its teaching that abortion is sinful in all circumstances. Neither, however, was it expected to engage in aggressive political lobbying of the kind more usually found in the United States – though that is its right. The reason for the cardinal’s pre-emptive strike may be found in a Vatican report that emphasised the need for strict orthodoxy and control.
The document, ostensibly about clerical sex abuse in Ireland, was critical of a widespread tendency among priests, religious and the laity to hold theological opinions at variance with the church’s teaching, particularly in relation to celibacy, women priests, divorce and contraception. By highlighting the issue of abortion and actively campaigning on that, however, the calculation may be that other internal divisions can be contained. It may be an unrealistic expectation.
What you may need to know
1. Ten years ago he was on the ropes. Now Sly Stallone is a movie star again. He’s celebrating this by starring in a cop thriller that makes The Expendables (2010) look like The Usual Suspects (1995).
2. That said, Bullet To The Head is the first movie in a decade directed by cult hero Walter Hill, the genius behind everything from The Driver (1978), The Warriors (1979), The Long Riders (1980) and Southern Comfort (1981) to 48 Hours (1982) , Streets Of Fire (1984) and (more recently) the pilot for Deadwood. So we’re there.
3 .Famous last words at ’30.
4. Cascading torrent of cop movie cliches between ’40 – ’50.
5. Hilarious ill-matched cop buddy movie racism at 1’00
6. Has-been one-time movie star in brief supporting role at 1’15. So sad.
7. All-time classic cop buddy movie cliche punctuated with hilarious ‘Stallone is OLD’ gag at 1’30.
8. Randomers flying through the air at 2’14.
9. We haven’t been this excited about a Stallone flick since Cobra (1986).
Release date (Ireland): January 2013
Indian singer, director, lyricist, music director, producer and autotune sensation Vennu Mallesh sez:
It’s My Life what ever I wanna Do ” is a non-fictional, psychological and philosophical Song.
He’s not mental, he’s sentimental. Let’s listen.