Tag Archives: Child sex abuse

From top: Belvedere College, Dublin 1; Clongowes Wood College

This afternoon.

A priest who abused students at Belvedere College has been publicly named by the Jesuit order as Fr Joseph Marmion.

The order has also revealed in a statement that Marmion, who also taught at Clongows Wood College, was moved on to head up chaplaincy at St Vincent’s Private Hospital after allegations of sexual abuse against him first surfaced…

…In 1977 the Jesuits received information from parents alleging sexual abuse at Belvedere College. “In consequence, a decision was taken that Joseph Marmion be removed from the staff in Belvedere with effect from the end of the academic year 1977/1978,” they said.

Fr Marmion “then spent a year on sabbatical in Paris with the Jesuit Community Saint François Xavier. He was then assigned to the Gardiner Street Jesuit Community. In 1990 he was appointed Chaplain to St. Vincent’s Private Hospital. We recognise that these subsequent appointments should not have been made.”

The statement continued that “while this particular communication relates to abuse that occurred in Belvedere College, Joseph Marmion also taught in Crescent College Limerick and Clongowes Wood College. Every effort will be made to communicate this information to former students in all schools”.

Priest ‘sexually and physically’ abused boys at Belvedere College in 1970s (Irish Times)

Priest who abused pupils at Belvedere College is named by Jesuit order as Fr Joseph Marmion (Independent.ie)

Pic: Wikipedia

This morning.

Nine years.

Meanwhile…

Mick Finnegan (37) from Crumlin, in south inner city Dublin, was 12 when he joined the voluntary paramedic organisation St John Ambulance in the 1990s. He was about 14 when he was abused by a senior figure in the ambulance service…

Finnegan grew up in Crumlin, an area he says was “destroyed with drugs” during the 1980s and 1990s. He was the eldest of four children and says his mother was delighted when he became involved with the organisation as he was steering clear of crime.

The grooming started shortly after he joined the Old Kilmainham division of St John Ambulance as a youth member or “cadet”. [More at link below]

St John Ambulance child sex abuse: ‘I remember not being believed’ (Irish Times, August 17)

John McClean

This morning.

John McClean, a former Director of the Rugby Academy at UCD, has pleaded guilty to indecently assaulting 23 schoolboys at Terenure College in the 1970s and 80s.

John McClean, 73,  was an English and drama teacher, who also coached rugby at the school. He took up the position as director of rugby in UCD in the 1990s.

The charges were prompted by a 2018 article from Gemma O’Doherty, who spoke to a number of Mr McClean’s victims in Village magazine.Her report claimed some gardai were aware of allegations against Mr McClean for decades.

Former rugby coach John McClean pleads guilty to indecent assault of 23 schoolboys (RTÉ)

Previously: John McClean on Broadsheet

A statement issued last night by Department of Justice and Equality concerning a USB key containing sensitive data relating to the Hickson Commission, which is investigating paedophile Waterford basketball coach Bill Kenneally (top).

The key, which the department says was encrypted (meaning only authorised parties can decipher the content), was apparently lost as it was moved between two government departments.

In 2016, Kenneally was given a 14-year sentence for sexually abusing ten boys aged between 12 and 16 in the years between 1984-1987.

The public inquiry headed by retired Circuit Court judge Barry Hickson was set up in 2108 following claims that Fianna Fáil, the Gardai, the HSE and the Catholic Church knew of the abuse but did nothing.

Previously: Bill Kenneally on Broadsheet

Statement via Saoirse McGarrigle

From left: George Kennedy, John Boland, David Phayer, Thomas Hogan and a man who did not wish to be identified by name

This afternoon.

Department of Education, Dublin 2.

A group of men who were sexually abused as children by a teacher at Creagh Lane primary school in Limerick protest outside the Dáil, over the State’s ongoing failure to grant them the redress they are due.

Via RTÉ:

Today is the fifth time in recent years that the ‘Creagh Lane men’, as they are known, have travelled from Limerick to Dublin to try to draw attention to their situation through protest.

A State redress scheme was established for survivors of abuse in national schools, after the European Court of Human Rights ruled in the Louise O’Keeffe case that the State did share liability for their abuse.

But the Creagh Lane men are among what is believed to be hundreds excluded by the scheme’s narrow interpretation of the European court ruling.

A year ago, the Government accepted a former judge’s finding that that the conditions of that scheme were “inherently illogical”, “fundamentally unfair” to applicants, and should be changed.

…Responding to the judge’s conclusions in the Dáil last year, the then minister for education Joe McHugh promised “action not words”. He established a second review.

But there has been no offer made to the Creagh Lane men and others.

Sex abuse survivors protest over redress scheme (RTÉ)

Rollingnews

Archbishop of Chicago Blase Cupich in 2014

The Catholic Church in Illinois withheld the names of at least 500 priests accused of sexual abuse of minors, the state’s attorney general said in a scathing report that accused the church of failing victims by neglecting to investigate their allegations.

The preliminary report by Attorney General Lisa Madigan concludes that the Catholic dioceses in Illinois are incapable of investigating themselves and “will not resolve the clergy sexual abuse crisis on their own.”

The report said that 690 priests were accused of abuse, and only 185 names were made public by the dioceses as having been found credibly accused of abuse.

“I want to express again the profound regret of the whole church for our failures to address the scourge of clerical sexual abuse,” Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, the archbishop of Chicago, said in a statement.

Catholic Church in Illinois Withheld Names of at Least 500 Priests Accused of Abuse, Attorney General Says (New York Times)

Prime Minister of Australia Scott Morrison

“To the children we failed, sorry.

To the parents whose trust was betrayed and who have struggled to pick up the pieces, sorry.

To the whistleblowers, who we did not listen to, sorry.

To the spouses, partners, wives, husbands, children, who have dealt with the consequences of the abuse, cover-ups and obstruction, sorry.

To generations past and present, sorry,

We are sorry. Sorry you are not protected,. Sorry you are not listened to.

We are sorry for refusing to trust the words of children, for not believing you.

As we say sorry, we also say we believe you.”

Australia’s prime Minister Scott Morrison, (top) delivered to a gathering of victims in Canberra, the nation’s capital.

‘We Say Sorry’: Australia Formally Apologizes to Victims of Child Sexual Abuse (New York Times)

‘A sorry that dare not ask for forgiveness’: Scott Morrison delivers apology to survivors of sexual abuse (Sydney Morning Herald)

Pic: Reuters

Child rapists, clockwise from top left: Fr Sean Fortune, Fr Ivan Payne and Fr Brendan Smyth

BishopAccountability.org has identified more than 70 clergy in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland who have been convicted of sexually abusing children or whose alleged abuses have been amply documented in the Ferns, Ryan, Murphy and Cloyne reports.

This is our fourth published database: we have maintained an accused U.S. clergy database since 2005, and we recently launched databases of publicly accused clergy in Argentina and Chile.

These databases have confirmed for us the clarifying power of lists of names.

A public list makes children safer. It gives profound validation to victims. It serves as a resource for prosecutors, journalists, scholars and even church insiders: over the last few years, several church officials have asked us to add names or information to our U.S. database.

While we bring this simple idea of a list to the Irish clergy abuse problem, we are painfully aware of what we as outsiders do not bring.

We don’t have the anguished history of Irish survivors, or the deep knowledge of the Irish crisis that many visitors to this page will have.

We hope that even the most learned among you will find the list a helpful way to reflect on clergy abuse in Ireland, but we also hope that you will advise us and help us make this database better.

Priests and Brothers Convicted of Sexually Abusing Minors in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland (BishopAccountability)

Earlier: ‘The Meeting Won’t Be Announced Until After It’s Over’

Pope Francis has responded to revelations of predator priests abusing thousands of children in one US state.

“Regarding the report made public in Pennsylvania this week, there are two words that can express the feelings faced with these horrible crimes: shame and sorrow.

The Holy See treats with great seriousness the work of the Investigating Grand Jury of Pennsylvania and the lengthy Interim Report it has produced. The Holy See condemns unequivocally the sexual abuse of minors.

The abuses described in the report are criminal and morally reprehensible. Those acts were betrayals of trust that robbed survivors of their dignity and their faith.

The Church must learn hard lessons from its past, and there should be accountability for both abusers and those who permitted abuse to occur.

Most of the discussion in the report concerns abuses before the early 2000s. By finding almost no cases after 2002, the Grand Jury’s conclusions are consistent with previous studies showing that Catholic Church reforms in the United States drastically reduced the incidence of clergy child abuse.

The Holy See encourages continued reform and vigilance at all levels of the Catholic Church, to help ensure the protection of minors and vulnerable adults from harm.

The Holy See also wants to underscore the need to comply with the civil law, including mandatory child abuse reporting requirements.

The Holy Father understands well how much these crimes can shake the faith and the spirt of believers and reiterates the call to make every effort to create a safe environment for minors and vulnerable adults in the Church and in all of society.

Victims should know that the Pope is on their side. Those who have suffered are his priority, and the Church wants to listen to them to root out this tragic horror that destroys the lives of the innocent.”

Statement by the the Director of the Holy See Press Office, Greg Burke, on the report of the Pennsylvania Grand Jury issued earlier this week in the United States over the sexual abuse of minors.

Vatican responds to Pennsylvania Grand Jury abuse report (Vatican News)

Previously:

Over 1,000 Children Targeted By Predator Priests

Rosita Sweetman: Please Stay At Home

Cardinal Donald Wuerl who will be a keynote speaker at the World Meeting of Families in Dublin later this month

I note the statement by Cardinal Donald Wuerl, following the revelation that hundreds of priests had sexually abused thousands of children in Pennsylvania, that he had “acted with diligence, with concern for the victims and to prevent future acts of abuse”.

With all his years of training, education and life experience, could the cardinal not figure out that the best way to stop a paedophile re-offending was to lock him up?

Anthony O’Leary,
Portmarnock,
Co Dublin.

Child sex abuse by priests in Pennsylvania (Irish Times)

Yesterday: Over 1,000 Children Targeted By Predator Priests

Pic: Church Militant