Via Politics Aired
A quarantine hotel in Santry, Dublin last week
Two cases taken by a man and a woman who were each challenging the legality of making them quarantine in a hotel after arriving from Israel, have been struck out at the High Court.
The man and woman were both allowed to leave their hotels yesterday afternoon, so the challenges to the legality of their detention are no longer necessary
Derek Jennings, 47, had arrived home on Friday to support his family after his father, who has cancer, became critically ill.
He had appealed against his quarantine on humanitarian grounds, and on the grounds that Israel was to be removed from the list of designated states by the Government.
One of the bail conditions is that the women present themselves for hotel quarantine at a State approved facility immediately upon their release https://t.co/GnuwsiMUKA
— RTÉ News (@rtenews) April 3, 2021
Tallaght District Court, Dublin.
The two women who refused to go into the mandatory hotel quarantine system when met by the Army at the airport appeared in court today. The women, both aged in their 30s, returned to Ireland yesterday after travelling to the United Arab Emirates for cosmetic surgery. They have have been remanded in custody with consent to bail.
Via RTE news:
Michael French, solicitor who represented both women, said his clients will be challenging the constitutionality of the legislation and remand in custody would be disproportionate given the offence they are charged with carries a maximum prison sentence of one month.
He also said his clients, who had travelled to Dubai for breast enhancements, were not aware of the regulations before they travelled.
He said Kirstie McGrath is mother to two young children aged six and 10 and there is no one else to take care of them.
He said Niamh Mulready is mother to a seven-year-old child and had refused to go into quarantine as she needed to get home to look after her child.
He said both women would agree to bail conditions which required them to quarantine at home for two weeks, to check in with gardaí and he could not see why the State would not agree to this. He said both women had provided three negative Covid-19 tests in the last week.
Major Covid virus outbreak Dublin Airport Hotel hushed up. GM, Ops Mgr & staff quarantined self isolation
Over 30 Irish airline pilots&crew quarantined #MeholeGate #DejaVu 2020 same companies involved @wickedfairysad @broadsheet_ie @paddycosgrave @EwanMacKenna @wereontheditch
— Marcus Rashford stan account #FPL (@eachwaypunter21) April 3, 2021
A passenger reacts angrily as she is taken by coach under Irish Army escort to the Crowne Plaze Hotel on the first day that travellers from countries deemed hot spots are required to undergo mandatory quarantine.
Crowne Plaza Hotel, Dublin Airport.
Earlier: Hot Spot Plane Spotting
18 more states have been added to the Government’s coronavirus ‘high-risk’ list.
Brazil and South Africa are now joined by Angola, Austria, Botswana, Burundi, Cape Verde, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Eswatini, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Seychelles, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, Zambia and Zimbabwe
Visitors from these countries will have to self-quarantine for a ‘mandatory period of 14 days’.
Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly (above) said:
“Under the current Level 5 restrictions nobody should be engaging in non-essential travel at this time. These stringent measures on people arriving to Ireland from 20 states are necessary in responding to the risks posed by variants of concern.
“People who arrive in Ireland must now complete a full mandatory 14-day period of self-quarantine if they have been in any of these states in the previous 14 days. The Government will shortly consider legislation that will require such passengers arriving here to complete this quarantine at a designated facility.”
Repeat as required.
In the Dáil.
Independent TD Michael Collins raised the story in yesterday’s Irish Independent about some passengers failing to fill in a form detailing where they would be staying for the following two weeks, saying:
“We see today that a large percentage of people flying into Ireland are not filling in the form asking them how they intend to socially isolate for two weeks. We need to allay any fears in tourism communities, and that can be done if the completion of these forms was mandatory in airports and ports.”
During his response, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said:
“In terms of the airport forms, they are not yet mandatory. They may well need to become mandatory. That is something we are considering at the moment, but I disagree with the Deputy. Making it mandatory for people to fill in forms to self-isolate for 14 days when they come to the country is not good for tourism.
“People will not come to Ireland if they have to isolate for 14 days. We need to get to the point where we can have air travel start again. I want air travel to start again for business and leisure but that will have to be done safely. That is being worked on at the moment.”