Tag Archives: petition

A petition calling for chief executive of the FAI John Delaney to quit on change.org

This morning.

An online petition calling for the chief executive of the FAI John Delaney has secured more than 10,000 signatures.

The petition states:

Problem

John Delaney is on an annual salary of €360,000.

The club that comes in first place in the League of Ireland receives €110,000 (Before Champions League and Europa League prize money). This is completely ludicrous and we demand that Irish football become a priority for development of domestic players instead of relying on English clubs to do all of the development for us.

Solution

The real solution is complete restructure of domestic football in this country, but removing the current (useless) head of the FAI is a great start.

Yikes.

Remove John Delaney as head of the FAI (Change.org)

Related: Payoff for O’Neill and Keane may cost €3m (Irish Examiner)

And rising.

A petition calling for the State not to pay for the legal representation of former Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan in an action taken against him by Maurice McCabe has reached more than 22,000 signatures.

Previously: The Bill

The petition can be signed here

This morning.

Following the second part of a two-part documentary on RTÉ 1 about Garda whistleblower Maurice McCabe last night.

A petition calling for the State not to pay for the legal representation of former Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan in an action taken against him by Maurice McCabe has reached more than 14,000 signatures.

At the Disclosures Tribunal Judge Peter Charleton accepted Fianna Fail TD John McGuinness’s evidence that Mr Callinan told him Sgt McCabe “fiddles with kids” and referred to both Sgt McCabe and former Garda John Wilson as “fucking headbangers” in January 2014.

He accepted that Mr Callinan told Mr McGuinness, during a meeting in a car park of Bewley’s Hotel on the Naas Road, Dublin, on Friday, January 24, 2014, that Sgt McCabe sexually abused his children and nieces.

And he accepted that Mr Callinan led him to believe there was a live investigation of some kind, causing Mr McGuinness to believe that charges against Sgt McCabe were imminent.

Judge Charleton accepted that Mr Callinan told Fine Gael TD John Deasy, on the way to a Public Accounts Committee meeting on Thursday, January 23, 2014, that Sgt McCabe was not to be believed or trusted with anything.

He also accepted the evidence of the Comptroller and Auditor General Seamus McCarthy – whose report into the quashing of penalty points was being discussed at that PAC meeting – that Mr Callinan told him Sgt McCabe was not to be trusted, that he had questions to answer, and that there were live allegations of sexual offences against him.

The judge also accepted that Mr Callinan told RTE journalist Philip Boucher-Hayes, before a broadcast of RTE’s Crimecall in December 2013, that Sgt McCabe was a “troubled individual” with a “lot of psychological issues and psychiatric issues”.

And the tribunal heard that Mr Callinan briefed celebrity solicitor Gerald Kean before Mr Kean went on the Marian Finucane Show in January 2014, during which Mr Kean alleged that Mr McCabe and Mr Wilson had not cooperated with an internal garda investigation into the penalty points controversy.

After Mr McCabe sent Mr Kean a legal letter about his comments threatening a defamation action, Mr Kean sent the letter on to Mr Callinan asking for his help in replying to Mr McCabe.

Mr Callinan, in turn, wrote up several paragraphs for Mr Kean to insert into this reply to Mr McCabe – which were inserted word for word.

Judge Peter Charleton wrote:

“So, the Garda Commissioner, by profession a criminal law enforcement officer, was drafting a letter for a solicitor on a legal problem, defamation, which the solicitor had. No comment is needed on this. Maurice McCabe subsequently took a defamation action against RTÉ and Gerald Kean. The case against Gerald Kean was not ultimately pursued, while a settlement was reached between Maurice McCabe and RTÉ.”

The petition can be signed here

Watch ‘Whistleblower’ Part 2 here.

Yesterday: How Was It For You?

A new petition has been set up on Uplift concerning the National Maternity Hospital calling for the hospital to be placed in public ownership.

The petition was created by the Campaign Against Church Ownership of Women’s Healthcare group.

The petition states:

Despite its name, the National Maternity Hospital is a private Catholic corporation. The hospital recently agreed to be taken over by a private company owned by the Sisters of Charity, St Vincent’s Healthcare Group (SVHG), which manages the nuns’ three hospitals.

The National Maternity Hospital is now slated to get a new facility built by the government on land owned by the nuns. This new build will cost an estimated €350m.

Contrary to what the Minister for Health has repeatedly claimed, the State will not own the new hospital. All the government will own are the bricks.

Current plans will see the maternity hospital governed by the nuns’ company, SVHG, and owned by a new private Catholic company to be set up by SVHG.

The Minister also claims the new hospital will be free of religious influence. Such claims ring hollow. With private ownership come legal powers and privileges. Private hospitals cannot be forced to provide services that conflict with their ethos. They cannot even be compelled to submit to independent inquiries into patient safety, as a High Court case taken by the same National Maternity Hospital against the Minister shows. The hospital recently won its case, blocking a HIQA inquiry following the death of a 34-year-old woman during surgery at the hospital.

The new maternity hospital was designed to be private and Catholic. We demand that it be public and secular.

Those who wish can sign the petition here.

Meanwhile, in The Sunday Times.

Justine McCarthy, in her opinion column, wrote about the matter, saying:

“…Ireland has a double standard in how it reacts to the past offences against humanity perpetrated by priests and those perpetrated by nuns.

Whatever vestige of blind faith Ireland still has, is preserved for the brides of Christ.

While male clerics have been all but stoned in the public square — regardless of their age, state of infirmity or personal goodness — nuns are popularly depicted as frail innocents.

Whenever the ghosts of nuns’ past outrages come back to haunt us all, up goes the refrain that society was the real culprit.

Old paternalistic habits die hard.

…This is not to say that innocent individuals, whether priests or nuns, ought to be vilified, for they should not, but it is to advocate that the same standards of accountability and vigilance apply equally to male and female congregations who oversaw institutional atrocities.”

Justine McCarthy: We can’t trust nuns on maternity care (The Sunday Times)

Previously: The Maternity Hospital Deal

How Deal Leaves Doors Open For Church Control (Legal Coffee Drinker)

The former ‘Gloucester Street’ Magdalene Laundry, Sean McDermott Street, Dublin 1

Social Democrats Dublin City Councillor Gary Gannon, for Dublin’s North Inner City, has set up a petition calling on Dublin City Council to stop the sale of the Sean McDermott Street Magdalene Laundry site to a Japanese hotel chain.

He writes:

Dublin City Council is planning to sell the 2-acre Magdalene Laundry site on Sean McDermott Street in Dublin to a Japanese hotel chain for €14 million.

The elected Dublin City Councillors have the power to stop the sale. They will vote on a motion to stop the Council’s plan on Monday 3rd September.

Sign the petition here

Previously: The Last Laundry

The magnificent Savoy 1 cinema

Further to news that The Savoy Cinema, O’Connell Street, Dublin 1 intend to close their beloved Number 1 screen.

Tony Flynn writes:

I’m sure like me many of you have fond memories of seeing your first blockbuster there, also the fact that so many companies want to have their premieres there points to its unique standing in Irish cinema history.

There simply is nowhere else like it in the country for luxury and grandeur, we have enough soulless multiplexes as it is so come on folks let’s try change their mind before it’s lost to us forever.

Save the iconic Savoy Screen 01! (Change.org)

Earlier: Stella!

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 17.19.44

At the Body & Soul music and arts festival last year

But do you also want to see the Ireland v Belgium match this weekend?

Well…

Alan Meehan writes:

Very few times does our little nation get to come together and rejoice in the achievements of Irish soccer at major finals. This is one of those moments and it needs to be grasped with both hands!

Let’s petition Body & Soul to bring a small piece of Ireland’s odyssey in France to a field in Westmeath! So that, together, we can recreate some of the joyous scenes that Irish fans are creating in France and do our nation proud by cheering on Martin, Keano and the boys down at Ballinlough Castle.

Wouldn’t you rather watch the game on a proper screen than on a phone that isn’t going to work anyway?

You can sign the petition here

Body & Soul

Sasko Lazarov/Rollingnews

10522601_995381203876658_3016546357826137401_n-1

People being deported from Greece to Turkey by Frontex officials on April 4

Further to President Michael D Higgins’ speech on Monday in which he was critical of Europe’s response to refugees and migrants who are continuing to travel to Europe…

A petition calling on the next Irish government to demand an end to the EU/Turkey deal states:

Since early March, the EU­-Turkey Deal has been implemented against refugees and migrants. This deal designates Turkey as a safe third country, something it patently is not. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, 16 people, including three children, were killed by border guards as they crossed into Turkey this year.

Amnesty International has reported on such killings, predominantly of Syrian refugees, since 2013. Not alone this, but Amnesty has also documented that Turkish authorities have been expelling groups of around 100 Syrian men, women and children to Syria almost daily since mid­- January.

This mass expulsion of people to a war zone is illegal under Turkish, EU and international law. The registration process in Turkey is also deeply flawed and conditions in the camps there are often unsafe and present multiple health hazards.

…The EU must recognise that people will continue to flee war, danger and precarity, and that these measures are just driving them to make ever more dangerous journeys. Thousands of children have disappeared in Europe, almost 6,000 refugee children and minors were reported missing in Germany last year.

European Union estimates that at least 10,000 child refugees had disappeared after arriving in the continent were “very likely to be underestimated”, according to a senior official at Unicef. Children and vulnerable adults are being preyed on by traffickers and criminals.

The amount of money spent on policing and militarising this crisis could help to resettle the people in need of asylum, this is clearly not a financial issue.

We are witnessing the greatest displacement of people since the Second World War and this time we can see it unfold on our TV screens and computers. The response of the EU is shameful, inhumane and wrong.

Will the next generation look back on this time and wonder how it happened, how we let it happen?

Ireland has responsibilities to these people as it plays a role in their displacement due to the use of Shannon Airport by the US military.

The wars that refugees are fleeing from resulted from invasions, occupations and deliberate aggravation of pre­-existing tensions by the US military that we have been supporting at Shannon for the last 15 years.

Ireland also has a proud history of humanitarian activity, let us take a stand now to do the right thing, to play a positive and decent part in this crisis.

Call on your TDs to demand the suspension of the EU­/Turkey Deal and for Ireland to accept more refugees. The resilience, courage, solidarity and community they manage to create despite these terrible circumstances could immeasurably enrich our societies.

Let’s be on the right side of history this time. Demand the human rights of migrants are upheld and that there is safe passage for all.

Anyone who wishes can sign the petition – which will be sent to the signee’s local TDs – here

Previously: ‘Is Our Response To Be Defined By Barbed Wire, Tear Gas And Rubber Bullets?

One Love

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 17.48.26

Following a Patrick O’Leary sending a petition to the Joint Committee on Public Service Oversight and Petitions last month – to have Conor McGregor’s face placed on €1 coins – Sinn Féin TD Padraig MacLochlainn told the committee last evening it can’t happen.

Not least because he can’t get a hold of Mr O’Leary.

Mr MacLochlainn explained…

“‘Put Conor McGregor on the €1 coin’ – this [petition] is from a Mr Patrick O’Leary. We’ve deliberated on this petition and unfortunately because we haven’t been able to establish contact with the petitioner, our rules are clear, it has to be deemed inadmissible.

“So, what we have thought about this is that, we would advise the petitioner, or any other interested party, that they may wish to contact the Central Bank to establish the EU rules around both commemorative coins and the normal EU coinage which may have restrictions negating the proposal made in this petition so… while unfortunately we can’t deem it admissible, and take any further action on it, it is a matter of public interest around how decisions are made and who goes on coins…”

Petition to put Conor McGregor’s face on €1 coin deemed inadmissible (Newstalk)

jack
goggles

From top: Mick and Jack at the Aviva Lansdowne Road Nua; Rugby Goggles.

Look into the eyes.

Mick writes:

I am the parent of a boy who has been told by his coach at a local rugby club that in accordance with I.R.F.U. rules he can no longer play rugby as he has to wear protective goggles. Jack is seven. In the interest of equality and fairness I am appealing to the I.R.F.U. to reconsider its nonparticipation in the IRB Approved Protective Goggles Trial.

According to Marc Douglas (IRB), who has been contacted as part of this appeal “…the Goggles Trial [ to see if the eyewear can be worn without causing injury to any player] is ongoing and has been very successful … The feedback received has been overwhelmingly positive and it has enabled a large cross section of people to get into and get back into playing rugby….”The IRB “… are hoping that the goggles will become law soon”.

Naturally Jack is distraught as he cannot participate in rugby, a sport that he loves as he requires glasses. All I am asking for is that the I.R.F.U. sign up for the trial. Please sign our petition to support Jack and other people like him and allow them participate in rugby.

Mick’s petition has currently 704 signatures.

You can sign it here.

World Rugby Goggles Global Law Trial (World Rugby)

Mini and Leprechaun Rugby Regulations (Irish Rugby)

Thanks Anne-Marie McNally